Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 ?s

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by lugnut, Oct 7, 2001.

1. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Around here all I here about the 6.2 is bad things.NO power,hard starting,not dependable. They sell cheeper than a gas around here.I tow with a 454 sub. now would the 6.2 have more torqe less torqe?Why do they have such a bad reputation?

78 sub 454. Big as a tank and hard on my bank.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, the power thing is kind of accurate. The only problem is that most people compare the old Naturally-Aspirated(NA) non-turbo diesels to the newer turbo diesels. All the old NA diesels were dogs for HP output- the reason they were popular was the torque.

Hard starting? I don't know what you're talking about.....If your batteries, glow plugs, injection pump and injectors are up to snuff, a 6.2 will start as well as any gasser.

And as far as dependable, my 6.2 has treated me alot better than my gasser has. There's no ignition problems to worry about. The only thing that causes a 6.2 to be undependable is an undependable owner who doesn't follow a strict maintenance program. Fuel filters need to be changed yearly, and air filters have to be kept really clean. Oil changes also have to be done more frequently than on a gasser.

Depending on how your 454 is setup, you may or may not have more torque than a 6.2. One thing I can guarantee you is that a 6.2 will get double the gas mileage of your 454, and for me that's a big deal.

The bad reputation of 6.2s comes from a few chronic problems GM had with the early injection pumps. In their infinite wisdom, GM used Lucas(a British company) to supply their pumps. There were lots of problems with them, but design changes all but eliminated them after a couple of years. It doesn't help that diesel fuel is now alomost sulphur-free, which means that a quality diesel conditioner should be used on a regular basis to keep the injector lubed up.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask.......[​IMG]

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Stanadyne = Lucas??????? I don't think so. The DS2 (mechanical) pumps were good. The later DS4 (electronic controlled) pumps had problems initially due to low sulfur fuel. Most all of the problems with DS4 have been replaced/updated by now.

The 6.2 &amp; 6.5 is a good motor. Chevy should have kept it for the Tahoe and 1/2 tons, even now. No, it's not a Cummins or a Powerstoke (those are real HD truck motors, HEAVY and EXPENSIVE), it was never intended to be. Most of the people who bad mouth the 6.2 never had one and/or know nothing about them. I've even had one idiot "mechanic" tell me it was a gas conversion (NO that was the 5.8 Oldsmobile).

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. Can Can

Whoooooooops!!!! I was thinking about vacuum pumps because I also going to mention them. I guess my wife was right when she told me it was getting late[​IMG]!!!!

Anyhow, Lucas made the vacuum pump which also had some issues.

5. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Is there anything in particular to watch out for with the 6.2s? Did any of them come with a turbo? Whats an after market kit cost? Are they worth the trouble &amp; expense? Thanks for the advice. P.S. It dont take much beat the milage of my 454 it gets about 9 on a good day. If I am light on the go pedal.

6. Can Can

I'm almost positive that there were no factory turbos installed on 6.2s. Some dealers had access to Banks aftermarket bolt-on turbos. You can still buy a Banks kit but last I checked they were around $1500-2000. I guess if you had a truck or Blazer that was in primo shape it might be worth it to install one. It's not worth it for me- I have an 83 1/2 ton that the family recently outgrew so now it's just a runaround truck for me or the wife.

7. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

My 6.2 has either 215,000 or 315,000, not sure ive only owned it a year but I get about 20 mpg. I love my diesel, I dont wanna drive anything else. Though a turbo would be nice to have.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yea...heres something to look for. Make sure it leaks. Ain't never seen a good Chevy that didn't leak. Anyone gt any hists for getting Diesel oil off concrete? My parents aren't very happy.....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

9. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Oil ieaks?????? I thought that was how the dominate trucks marked there territory. Thanks for the help. I have not had any dealing with the 6.2 but now I wont run if there is not a distributer under the hood.