Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 shutdown?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by braunm, May 26, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

when my truck starts, it shakes a little bit then shuts down. I just had the pump rebuilt, what could it be? thanks in advance for your help

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Could you possibly explain what happens a little clearer? Does the motor catch? Does it jump to high idle? It almost sounds like the shop forgot to set up your high idle properly............

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I don't notice a shake when I shut down but I don't pay real close attention. It could be normal for a diesel. I've driven peterbilts with cummins engines before and it would go around a couple time before coming to a stop when I shut it down. You could actually hear the crank rock back and forth just as the engine came to a stop.

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

You could have air in the injector lines. It's worth a shot. Make sure there is no air in the pump supply line. Pull the pink wire from the pump and crank the motor over a few time(not too many, you'll burn out the starter). That should prime the pump pretty good. To bleed the lines, you'll have to carefully loosen the lines at the injectors to let the air out.

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like your cold start switch may not work ?? You need that to advance the timing so it will start easier and keep running . After it is warmed up does it start easier and keep running ??

6. braunm

braunm Registered Member

My blazer sat for about two weeks and the first time I started it. It would start right up then t would act like it was not getting fuel and shack a bit and then shut down. It would be hard to start again. Would have to crank it for a while to start again. This is the best that I can discribe it. This is my first diesel truck I really don't know to much about them.

Thank you for your time and information.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It kinda' does sound like a fuel pump problem.............Almost like the diaphragm is weak and is letting fuel weep backwards after the motor has been inactive for a while. Have you changed your fuel filters lately? If the shop that did your injection pump changed your filters at the same time, there could have been some air introduced into the system. The one time I ran my diesel out of fuel it took FOREVER to start.

Try loosening one of your filters off.......you should be able to hear pressure escaping if the diaphragm on the fuel pump is holding. No pressure means a bad diaphragm.

Check a few of these things out and let us know what you find.

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

8. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Never mind about my post it appears i misread the original message. Everone else seems to be on the right track as far as my limited knowledge is concerned.