Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Swap, Advice seeked

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by TexanDiesel, May 28, 2001.

1. TexanDiesel

TexanDiesel Newbie

Recently I cracked my cylinder head, but have yet to see if it's damaged beyond repair. I've heard it can be fixed w/o dropping a whole new engine. Is this true? Depending on costs, I may repair the one I have now, drop a new 6.2 in the Blazer, or drop a new chev. 350 in it. The Blazer w/ 4" lift sitting on 33" will be moved to our beach house where it will be used seldomly, about 6 weekends a year. Which engine( if either) will be more reliable at cranking up after months of sitting. I would like to keep a 6.2 'cause we'll be pulling a boat with it. Would i have to swap in any adaptors to put in a 350 if it was built originally with a 6.2. Thanks for any advice to any of the questions!

2. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

personally i would put in the 6.2L. the guy that i bought my 6.2 blazer from used it every now and then. I think with a diesel there are less components that you would need to check after a month or two of sitting. so I would go with a diesel for sure. just my opinion.
    sergio

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Make sure if you decide to keep the diesel that you use a quality fuel-stabilizer in the tank if the truck is going to sit for a while at a time..............

If I understand you correctly(that your head is cracked), all you have to do is change your head. Do both while you're at it!!!! As far as I can see, the job would be a lot cheaper than installing a new motor...............

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You say it's cracked but where? Are you loosing coolant out the exhaust? I ask because cracks between the intake and exhaust valve on the end cylinders are pretty normal (esp number 8) and usually benign. There is a kit available to ream and sleeve the coolant passage between the end cylinder valves. Not sure who makes it try kennedydiesel.com they're 6.2 savy.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

hey Texan, I replaced both my heads a couple months ago in the truck. It wasnt that hard at all, I also bought reman heads for $300 a piece down there in texas, shipping was $15 no core charge. If you need a number let me know. Tybee

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15