Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 that wont start

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by big_truxx, Nov 16, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i just got my first diesel /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif but i cant get it to start. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i know the fuel pump/ fuel pump shaf6t had issues which would easily be corrected with an elec pump... but... even squirting a little starting fluid at it didnt make a pop or anything. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif that desnt seem very good to me. but this is my first diesel and a learning project. so is there something simple i may be overlooking? or something seriously wrong with this 6.2? also what is the diesel timing like in comparison to a gas. as i said im am just starting to learn about diesels and know i have a lot to learn. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Don't use starting fluid. It is too flamable for a diesel and will pop big time with the high compression ratio of the 6.2.
    The 6.2s need 3 major things to fire.
    Heat in the cylinders. This is aquired through the glow plug system. Testing this can be done by disconnecting one glow plug at a time and putting a cheapy test light between the wire and glow plug terminal. If it lights when the glow plugs cycle that plug is good. Check all 8.

Cranking speed/RPM. The diesels require minimum of something like 600RPM to fire. If it cranks slowly it will have a real hard time starting if it ever does. A new gear reduction starter from the 6.5 diesel will greatly improve your cranking speed. Also look at your battery and cables to make sure they are in tip top order.

Last but not least Diesel. You need to have zero air in the lines. When I look at a 6.2 that has been sitting I generally unplug the pink wire on the injection pump (front middle of intake manifold) and crank it for a few seconds, 10 or so. Then replug it in and try to fire it up. This will rid the system of small air bubbles but larger once require more work. Worse case is having to crack the injectors loose and turn it over.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

First check if it has fuel- THen check if the glow plugs acutally work.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

as my post said, i did try some starting fluid, and it did not make even a hint at a pop. thats one reason im kinda wondering if i should even try to put an elec fuel pump on it. if it didnt pop at all when using starting fluid thatd be a bad sign wouldnt it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Not really. If you look at my post I mentioned heat being needed. Without glow plugs or high cranking RPM their is no heat. No heat means no combustion. Remember you left your spark plugs at the door /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

ah yes thast is very true!! thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif time to go do some testing when i can see to do so lol

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

you'd never believe that i only had 1 out of 8 glow plugs light up my test light /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.giflol now to go price some new ones. and add an elec pump and air out the lines.... then cross fingers and hope it fires. i had the starter rebuilt. but it was the original type not a cool 28mt one

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i just had the time to go back to the truck and tinker some more. i was able to fish the other 1/2 of the fuel pump push rod out of its hole with a magnet. aparently the previous owner had taken the fuel pump off and the shaft out. not sure if it was in 2 pieces before he removed it or not. but it is now. i guess i can find the $15 for a new one somewhere for it. then i should be able to get some fuel up to the injectors. but will have to wait a bit on the glow plugs as money issues slow down my progress on this project. i also was curious, if i had someone rebuild the original type starter, it should be crankin at an rpm fast enough to start right?

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I find that at anything lower than 65 degrees, without glowplugs, you'll be cranking an awful long time.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

do you think if i plug the block heater in (assuming that it actually works hahaha) that that would make it warm enough to start since the glow plugs are inop??

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    do you think if i plug the block heater in (assuming that it actually works hahaha) that that would make it warm enough to start since the glow plugs are inop??

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Loc: Canaan, Maine

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not up there... Maybe if you lived in Florida /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

In a non heated garage? In your temps? Probably not. Block heaters are designed to turn on at around 40 degrees, and turn off at 85. Given that they are usually less than 400 watts, it helps, but it is not going to be a replacement for glow plugs.

My diesel will be down for service until January, so I will be installing an additional coolant circulator, as well as a trickle charger. All together it will probably suck up 2000 watts when on full blast. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

if i lived in fl the block would already be 80 since it was in fl /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

im also not thinkin 1st thing in the morning start. im probably workin on starting it once i get the fuel pump push rod replaced in the mid afternoon someday at about the warmest part of the day after the block heater has been plugged in a few hours. its not that cold up here. ive been sweating outside while doing minor work w/o a coat on. its been in the 40's lately. really nice weather if you ask me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif