Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 Ticking Noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cua757, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Cua757

Cua757 Registered Member

Hey Folks, Been having a couple of concerns about my 6.2. The engine is making sharp erratic ticking noises at idle and under light throttle. The noise goes away under half throttle though. I tend to think that A) the glowplugs are caked with carbon and are causing the ticking (detonation/preignition?) or B) My injectors are leaking air back into the injection system or C) Both. I am not very knowledgable about Diesels yet, so any assistance would be a great help.

Ever Been Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Stuck?

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

3. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Well, you most likely do have shot injectors. They tend to last 70,000 or so (though they can still run well into the 100,000`s) I would venture to quess that she is hard to start in the a.m. or after it`s sat for several hours too. I would change your oil and take a sample to be tested. That will tell you if you have any internal problems. Still it just sounds like falty injectors. The seals in the injectors are famous for wearing and leaking air back up into the lines. The timeing chain is also to blame for many off-time running problems. Have a diesel mechanic check the motor`s smoke, and timeing( make sure the shop has the equipment to do the timeing). Most of the time if there is strech in the chain they can advance the time a degree or two. This will usually make a big "seat of the pants" power increase. Most of these early generation diesels were never taken care of properly. Owners used the wrong oil, never changed glow plugs, injectors, or pumps. That just leads to poor fireing, and that mean this highly precise motor can only eat it`s self up. I`ve seen cracked rings, streched main caps, cranks wasted by stress risers, and burnt valves from high E.G.T`s.
    Don`t let anyone tell you that the 6.2 is not strong. Many of the 6.2`s internals make a 454 look small. Take care of that motor and she will give you many miles of good service. If you don`t she WILL crap out, and you`ll be another one of those guys who don`t understand and don`t like diesels. Oh Yeh, Get your self a turbo and the world will look completely different to you. Good Luck.

4. Cua757

Cua757 Registered Member

Thanks Stephan, I wasn't sure, but the previous owner told me that he never changed the injectors and the fella before that only did it once at 18 000 K. The engine is turboed by the way, (ATS compressor) and does run very well, that damn noise is really bugging me though. I have changed the oil and filters since I bought it -aforementioned 2nd owner did little for maintenance, but also didn't drive it much. I'll change the injectors and glowplugs for the time being and get to the timing chain in a month or two. -I'm pretty sure it will last til then. Still totally satisfied with the Jimmy though, I knew it would need some work, but that's just par for the course, right?... Thanks for the help!

Ever Been Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Stuck?