Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 timing cover, worth having a spare?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by uglytruk, Jun 21, 2006.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I have an oportunity to buy a very good used 6.2 timing cover for $25. Some engines need this part changed from time to time. IE; Ford 3.8.

Should I have a spare? Or one more piece of junk around the barn? Anyone ever change one due to corrosion, wear???

2. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

when i replaced my water pump and had my timing cover off, i realized there was alot of pitting on the back of the plate. so when i got a new water pump @ pick n pull i just took the timing cover with it because it was in way better condition than mine. So i would say yes, but $25 bucks would be a steep price for my wallet.

3. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I'd rather buy a whole truck for $100, or a whole motor for $5o, (core price).

I bought an almost new Harmonic balancer on eBay, and the shipping was steep and the seller also had a timing cover that didn't sell. Just wondering if there was any demand for the cover, to get better valu for my shipping $$$. I'm no big spender, enjoy dumpster diving with the best of 'em... Seems easier to pay a few bucks for a clean, already pulled part than spending my limited time at a scrapyard... Even though I LUV junkyards...

4. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

if you can get the seller to throw in the timing cover plate with your deal for free, than why not take? but if it's gonna cost you 5 bucks extra, forget it.