Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 to 350 conv.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pantera775, Feb 27, 2007.

1. pantera775

pantera775 Newbie

i purchased an 83 k5 blazer with a running 6.2 about 2 months ago. it needed a new head gasket so i rebuilt the top end. the fact is though is that ive heard this motor might as well be a boat anchor. i know its not built so well and my question is what is involved with the fuel system conversion and general wiring conversion. i have also already purchased a running shortblock but keep in mind im 17. thanks alot

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Might need to replace the tank pick-up tubes & such. I'm not sure. I just know you'd have to swap 'em if going from gas to diesel. I'd get a wiring diagram of them both and compare the two.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The reality is that 6.2's aren't boat anchors...regardless of what you may have heard from some people. They are often confused with the old 5.7 Diesel based on the Oldsmobile 350 block, which were not a great engine.

The 6.2 is a decent diesel as long as it's used as intended...a light duty fuel economy king. If you want to tow 15,000 lbs or run 13's in the 1/4 mile I'd look to something else. If you want good performance, great fuel economy and good reliability than I'd recomend sticking with the 6.2.

On the other hand if you want half the fuel mileage, about the same power and love dealing with carbs I'd say go ahead and swap a small block in there. :rolleyes:

Rene

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm with Rene, the 6.2 is a better powerplant than a small block IMHO.

Diesel is better than gas almost always, it's just a matter of what engines are/were available.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ive had two 6.2s one NA and one Turbo'd both good mileage, decent power on the na damn good power on the turbo. only problem was both of mine are cold blooded as hell. I want to be able to run in the winter, and Im sure neither of my trucks would of started this winter in the sub zero stints we had.

Im switchin my 4x4 to a 406, but im completely redoing the fuel system on the truck. Ive heard you can just flush the tanks and reuse them but im not sure.

6. BillyL

BillyL Registered Member

I did this swap on my 86 K5 but only because my 6.2 had a rod sticking out of the oil pan. If your 6.2 runs i wouldn't bother doing the swap specially if you have an automatic transmission. I had to change the torque converter and the governor in my 700R4 that alone was about $300.
    I used a one wire alternator to simplify the wiring then just used a wire that was hot when the ignition is turned on and ran that to the HEI. Sorry i don't remember what color or what the wire went to before my brother got happy with the wire cutters.lol
    For the fuel system i hooked up an old electric fuel pump and pumped all the diesel fuel out. Then dumped in a gallon of gas and pumped it through to make sure i cleaned out any diesel fuel left in the tank. I did not change anything on the fuel system and it seems to work just fine. I am not sure if you will have to modify the exhaust or not since i run headers i had to.
    Plus the diesel radiator is a lot longer then the standard radiators so you will have to find or make your own hoses that will fit.