Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 to small block swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tackleberry65, Jan 7, 2003.

1. tackleberry65

tackleberry65 Newbie

What is involved in swapping out a diesel for a gas engine? I've found an 87 military K5 from AZ with a 6.2 and winch for $1200. It's in such good shape that I hate to pass it up just because it's a diesel. Am I better off looking for a different truck?
    My major concern is the wiring. Everything is made to run off of 24v. Is the 12v conversion as big of a pain as I imagine it to be?

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm also looking at 86 K20 with a blowed up 6.2 I've been told it's a easy swap as far as the 24 volt set up goes only the starter and alternator and maybe the lights are 24 volt every thing else is 12 volt runnng off one battery should be fairly easy does the 6.2 run?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

do you live in az?

4. tackleberry65

tackleberry65 Newbie

Yeah, the diesel runs pretty good, but it smokes a lot. I'm guessing it's just the air/fuel adjustment. The idea of a slow diesel doesn't thrill me. I'd rather build a 383 for it since I already have a TPI setup off a Camaro.

5. tackleberry65

tackleberry65 Newbie

No, I'm in New Orleans at the moment. My friend is from AZ and he bought at an auction there. It's actually not a military vehicle(Forestry vehicle), but it should be the same.

6. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

First off, you may want to give a second thought to swapping, 6.2's are not going to win many races but they're not that weak and will get great fuel mileage. The military cucv's only use 24 volts for the starter, when converting to 12volts, one of the current alternators is reused and the other is kept as a spare. Check www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com for instructions, it's easy to do. If it came from a forestry office, it probably started life as a military vehicle, they get lots of hand me downs. A gas engine is pretty much a bolt in, engine mounts and tranny mounts are in the same place.