Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 to tow a fullsize?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jerry303, Jul 9, 2004.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I am interested in a m1008 as a cheap, economical tow rig and possibly DD. I plan on towing my 1st gen jimmy plus a suitable, but over-rated trailer(don't know which yet) and I plan on towing in Colorado (good amount of grades). With towing such a heavy rig under such conditions how will the m1008 hold up? I have no problem going under the speed limit, espically up steep grades but does the 6.2 have what it takes?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The M1008 has 4.56 gears and ~30" tires without an overdrive so going under the speed limit is gonna be a fulltime thing. It does mean it should have the power to tow the load...however in CO the altitude is gonna make is a dog and I'd seriously consider a turbo.

Beyond that, it's a one ton truck with huge brakes, a really stout TH400 tranny so it should make a good tow platform. Don't be surprised if someone wants you to sell them the D60 front though. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

3. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

So I guess going with lower gears for towing is out of the question? When I looked at turbos the only one I found ran $2000!! that's $500 less than I will be spending on the truck. I think that I can deal with the slowness, all the while thinking about the money i saved. any more input welcome. thanks

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

As it sits in stock form it will be spinning 3000 rpm at 55 mph. That's a lot of R's for a diesel but it'll do it all day long. No need to change gearing.

Rene

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The M1008 has 4.56 gears and ~30" tires without an overdrive so going under the speed limit is gonna be a fulltime thing. It does mean it should have the power to tow the load...however in CO the altitude is gonna make is a dog and I'd seriously consider a turbo.

Beyond that, it's a one ton truck with huge brakes, a really stout TH400 tranny so it should make a good tow platform. Don't be surprised if someone wants you to sell them the D60 front though. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be fine, you have the same combo my friend has on his dually crew cab (4.56 rear and 29" tires) and he tows his enclosed race car trailer all over the country, it pulls great, has no problems with brakes, and get's decent mileage compared to what the BBC did before.
    I wouldn't touch it unless you find a turbo for cheap.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I put a GV overdrive in the '88 crewcab I had. While I only had 4.10s it made a big difference in the cruising ability of the truck. Worked great for towing, the gear splitting was a definite improvement since I didn't have a turbo on that truck.
    Truck was '88 V30 6.2/TH400/NP205, ex air force truck.