Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 torbo worth it?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by darkshadow, Dec 29, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

been wanting to go diesel for a while now, and i am wondering is haveing a banks on the 6.2 really with it in power.economy for a dd/off road rig?

75% on road lets say?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it's just off road it's not worth it, but on Highway is where the turbo really shines.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm not so sure. I just recently fitted my 6.2 with an old ATS free floating (no waste gate) turbo set up. Although I don't have any hard numbers, I do notice alot of Turbo whine with (seemingly) more off-the-line punch. Turbos regardless of application work with engine load. No load (like revving in neutral) = no boost. More load = more boost (at least within the design wastegate/pressure map). You'll see alot of "short shifting" with turbo applications to keep the turbo spooled up.

Now when we use the term "off road" it really is a vague concept. A Turbo probably wouldn't do squat for a rock crawler, because it wouldn't respond (spool up) quick enough. But for a mud obstacle, maybe. A long incline, definately. :D

A side story: the Army runs five ton trucks M939 series. We had many M931A1 tractors with a Cummins (normally aspirated) NHC 250, and M931A2 tractors with the newer Cummins (turbo aspirated) CTA 8.3 (liter). Both engines are almost identicle as far as torque and HP numbers go. The NHC 250 is a very "responsive" engine favored especially for gun-trucks. The CTA 8.3 is known as dog by most drivers. I thought about this for a while; knowing my own driving impressions and the actual engine dynometer results. :thinking: Then it all made perfect sense. The CTA 8.3 has a hard line (tube) running from the intake manifold to the injection pump. This hardline is a pressure sensing line that allows the injection pump to increase fueling under heavy boost conditions. Heavy load = high boost = more fuel = max power. A gun truck (or a lightly loaded 5 ton) does NOT develope boost as easily/quickly, does not recieve extra fuel, thus does NOT make the wanted power. (Not that Army trucks are adequately powered to begin with! :doah: )

4. blaz_mem

blaz_mem Registered Member

I did my 6.2 and used the 6.5 borgwarner turbo gm-3 with the turbo exhaust manifold and made my own 3 inch exhaust and I really enjoy the truck. Mine is a daily driver, I had to lose the A/C but I am in route of fabbing an A/C system. It was worth it. Im running 35's on 4.10's in 3/4 ton axles and I have no problem hauling ass from the light and still get an average of 18-20 mpg. I may fab a spacer to raise my turbo off the exhaust manifold away from the air box and reuse my factory air, not sure yet. The whole set up cost me about $300-$400, took my time and bought all my stuff off of ebay.

5. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

after adding an older ATS turbo to my 6.2 I would say it's definately worth it but there are still time when I get very little boost and have to wait for the turbo to spool up.

I think as long as you are aware of the limitations then they are great. My truck preforms equal to when it had a 350, maybe even a little better.