Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 turbo questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by big_truxx, Jan 26, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

The turbo is piped into the pass side exhaust manifold right? Also does the turbo add MPG?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

1) Yes
    2) Depends how its driven, but generally yes.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:haha: :rotfl: Yes that is very true. As with anything though. What would the difference be in an N/A 6.2 and a turboed for MPG?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

There are so many factors it his hard to make a good guess, but I would say anywhere from 1-3 mpg as long as the driving habits stay the same. Of course, along with that mileage increase comes cleaner exhaust and more power.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Thanks bro! I really appreciate your help. I have never been able to calculate mpg with an N/A or a turbo 6.2 and compare the two. Some day I will be able to say different however. :grin:

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

As far as turbos and mpg go....

There's a poll going on over at www.thedieselpage.com right now regarding how to maximize the GM diesel fuel mileage. So far, every single person has recorded a small drop in mpg after installing a turbo on the 6.2L. I have as well. In theory, a turbo'ed engine should be more efficient, providing better mileage. It rarely works out in the real world, though. This is due in large part to the right foot syndrome. You have a turbo now, but you don't know it until you activate the right foot, and activiate it often! :D Also, the turbo restricts the exhaust somewhat, so that is a factor as well.

So, if you do drive the same as before, mileage may perhaps increase, but why would you want to drive the same as before? You can't hear the turbo sing to you if you don't mash on the pedal!

For maximum fuel economy, an n/a 6.2L seems to be the way to go.

For awesome power, fun, and great fuel economy, you can't beat a turbo 6.2L.

Casey

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yes I am well aware of the issue with people having more power and needing to stomp on it harder because of that fact and reducing their milage :grin: I am doing homework for a 6.2 powered Fiero project. I also know that at the price tag of roughly $2k for a turbo new... it's not cost effective really. I was just curious what gain the turbo would add if driven the same as the n/a :waytogo: thanks

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

How about using a 4 cylinder diesel from either a chevette or s-10? I considered this route once, would use a turbo from a 4cyl gas car and fit it to the diesel. But, too many other projects, no ambition and no real use for such a car:dunno: .

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:thinking: that is an interesting suggestion. I did not know they made a 4cyl diesel for the chevette/s-10 till now :waytogo: But I was thinking if the vette had a 6.5 and weighed more getting 40mpg, then a fiero that weighs considerably less with the 6.2 might get a little more. :thinking:

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Want to go WAY out on a limb then find a early '80s Buick Century with the v-6 FWD Diesel! Can't recall exact displacement but I'm thinking 4.3L. I've only seen one of these, years ago. Using that would let you take engine and trans axle and transplant right into a Fiero!

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It is 4.3 liters, and it was made by Oldsmobile and was in B century, olds cutlass and some pontiac.

They got about 40MPG in those engines.

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

maybe. www.v8archie.com has been doing v-8 fiero conversions for close to 20 years. So I know a 6.2 would be not that far off from a SBC. But when I stop and think about it, I might as well get a diesel jetta they get 50ish mpg... and have more room than the fiero. :haha: There really isn't much use other than sportscar for the fiero... can't even see getting groceries in one honestly :yikes: a loaf of bread and a glalon of milk fit. nopw wait here till i come back for the 2nd of 12 total trips to get the groceries home honey. :rotfl::haha:

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

almost bought one of them cars when I was in highschool. :)

14. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

There's a guy on a Fiero forum that put a 4.3 diesel in his Fiero. From what he says it fit great and got great mileage. I'd go that route instead of a 6.2. Small blocks fit Fieros with a tight fit. A 6.2 is more similar to a big block, not any big blocks in Fieros that I know of.

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiosity, you don't happen to know what he was getting for MPG with the 4.3 diesel do you?