Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 turbo , to a 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Dec 16, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Rene mentioned somthing about this a while back, mating a 6.2's turbo to a 350, anybody have any info on this? sseems like a real good idea, im really likin the possibility of a turbo on my truck, souds cool, i wonder how much of a pita it would be?????:thinking: :thinking: :weld: :hack: :grind:

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

nothin, no ideaas?:xmas:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That wasn't me I don't think...turbo'ing a gas engine is a lot more complex than turbo'ing a diesel. Gotta worry about leaning out a gas engine and melting stuff, don't have to worry about that sort of thing with a diesel.

Rene

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

are the exaust ports the same as a 350?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The only similarity between a 6.2 and a 350 is they're both V-8's and made from cast iron.

The 6.2 was purpose built from scratch by Detroit diesel for GM in the early 80's. The sbc has been around since the dawn of time.

Rene

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on thanks man,

dale

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

nothing is impossible with a bunch of custom fabbing- but on a TBI system, you do risk leaning out the engine. You can do a lot more with a tuned port.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well thats what i plan on going with, when i build my 383, this is more just pipe dreams, brain storming right now, im just thinking there isent any disadvantage to a turbo, it isent there when you dont need it, although i could see the "powerband" that a turbo has kickin in at the wrong time on the rocks and breakin stuff,

I rember the first time i drove a turbo car, a RWD Skyline in japan, i went around the corner, hit the gas, turbo kicked in and spun the ass out, i barley pulled it out without hittin the curb:D :xmas:

9. maintain

maintain Newbie

I love my 6.2

Hey, I have a blazer with a 6.2, no lift 35-12.50/15’s stock rattle trap K5 and about 1/4 million miles on it... daily driver, love it.

I have no turbo and do not think that I need it…my torque curve is so much lower and for Wheelin I just drop it into low and go! I am lookin for another 6.2 now for a real off the wall project I have going. Should be fun!

Terry