Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 turbo'd power

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BigDiesel, Jan 3, 2002.

1. BigDiesel

BigDiesel Registered Member Premium Member

6.2 turbo\'d power

I was looking through my May 2000 Fourwheeler on the final article of the "Project Blazer" where they put a banks turbo on. For those who never saw this excellent series of articles on the K5, I will include just the engine mods. With a rebuilt injection pump amd injectors, 3* timing advance, k&n filter, Stanadyne performance formula, J-code intake, banks stinger, and a sidewinder turbo, the project blazer made 172 hp and 451lb/ft of torque on the chassis dyno. Now my question is, shouldn't this setup have produced more horsepower than it did?
    I realize that this motor wasn't rebuilt, but factoring in a 20% loss through the drivetrain, I figured that horsepower would have been in the 240hp area or 200 at the wheels. With this current setup, do you guys and gals think the engine could handle a 15-20% propane injection system? Later.

99 3500 dodge cummins, blah, blah, blah
    soon to have: 90-91 blazer or jimmy with 6.2
    I love the smell of diesel in the morning. (no,not really;))

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

Re: 6.2 turbo\'d power

172hp and 451 ft.lbs of torque on a chassis dyno is alot of power.especially for a 6.2. if im not mistaken,they said that k-5 felt like it was powered by a healthy tbi 350.bet it tows better though...

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

3. BigDiesel

Guess I'm just used to a hopped up cummins. [​IMG] Just figured hp would be a little higher.

4. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

The blazer(jim allen) has parasitic drag from an np205 and np208, no locking converter, and 35'' rubber.

84k20,18:1 6.5td,400/208,4.10,4",35"s

5. carolina custom

Looks like I was wrong. the truck has a 700r4 with lock up.

6. BigDiesel

I believe he's running an Atlas T-case as well.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It sounds as if you are thinking of a different article. The series on Jim Allen's project Blazer was at least a year, if not a couple, ago. There was a recent article in one of the mag's in which they put a turbo on a 6.2 Blazer and made the "health TBI 350" comment.......not that it's that big of a deal.

At the time of the article, Jim Allen's Blazer had the 10-bolts with 4.10 gears, rebuilt 700r4, and a NP208 with 35" tires.

8. carolina custom

It was almost two years ago. This issue was when I was in the middle of the engine swap and turbo install on my truck in early 2000. I looked over it about 100 times. At that time he was using the dubble transfercases and that is why his exhaust had to be custom? Maby I am mistaken. I am intrested now and looking fo the issue. My memory is not to sharp any more.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I very well could be wrong, just don't remember the doubler setup.

I was kindof disappointed when he put the Bummer body on it, though the reduced weight sounds enticing.

10. BigDiesel

If you read my first post, I stated that it was the may 2000 edition of Fourwheeler.

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i will tell you guys this....i rode in a banks turbo'd 6.2 1 1/4 ton cucv with 38" boggers and can tell you (i am in the ARMY so i am VERY aware of the stock dogginess [​IMG]) that i was way impressed with the way that thing took off from a stop sign. when the turbo kicked in, i really did feel like a hopped up small block....and that sound!!! open exhaust with the turbo whinning.....almost converted me to buy an "oil burner"!!

i say again----very impressive

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

ohoh!! who has a turbod M1008 running 38 boggers?!?! I wanna see it, please please!
    How does it do off-road? I am interested because I don't know if i want to turbo my 6.2 this summer or wait a year or 2 and put a cummins in.

13. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

we didnt go off road, but it was beat on and he said it was a horse off-road. he also said he entered and won a truck pull last summer. i dont really know how much the gail banks kit is, but if i had a 6.2 i would do it BEFORE anything else!!

i will see if he has some pics.

rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. wreckleskelly

wreckleskelly Newbie

here's the article from fourwheeler.com
    web page

15. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I talked to a Banks rep last month and he quoted me around $1900 for the complete turbo system which includes the turbo with all needed parts, a pyro guage, and the 3" mandrel bent exhaust with 4" tip. They are pretty good about selling individual parts too, say for example you already have a pyro, they'll delete that from the kit. I'm saving up for mine now.

Chris

16. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Chris,

Ask them about their damaged box returns. Stuff which is still new, but the box has holes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've had them down to the 1700s, but since they can't tell me if it will work in my application...

Sounds cheaper to find a manual pump'd 6.5 and drop that in anyways.

Eric D
    88 K5 for sale - see For Sale forum

17. K5Blazed

K5Blazed Registered Member

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to fix up their diesel with a turbo but without a kit. A friend of mine was reading a turbo book and asked if I had any thoughts on doing it myself. I dunno, the book said something about blah blah blah, diesel is not picky with the turbo, just as long as it gets more air(something like that). Another thing I was wondering was has anyone ever seen or heard of a twin-turbo 6.2 because if I'm going to even consider taking the time to figure out how to slap on a turbo, I'm gonna put two of 'em on it. Any comments?

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to fix up their diesel with a turbo but without a kit. A friend of mine was reading a turbo book and asked if I had any thoughts on doing it myself. I dunno, the book said something about blah blah blah, diesel is not picky with the turbo, just as long as it gets more air(something like that). Another thing I was wondering was has anyone ever seen or heard of a twin-turbo 6.2 because if I'm going to even consider taking the time to figure out how to slap on a turbo, I'm gonna put two of 'em on it. Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been done, i can't remember on which site I saw it: twin turbo 6.2L
    It actually makes more sense since the single needs a crossover pipe to work, the dual will be easier.
    As for picking any turbo, all you need to know is how much boost you're getting and if it's too much you need a wastegate so you don't bow up your engine.
    I will try and find a couple of cheap turbo's and try it myself too.
    Not any time soon though, I have so many things to do before that.

19. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't running a twin turbo setup on a 6.2 be a little much for an engine that's not heat treated for even a single? I wouldn't be afraid to run one (am considering a banks 6.2 or a stock 6.5) but running two sounds like a little much. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Wouldn't your egt's skyrocket so fast that it would kind of defeat the purpose of having the extra turbo bolted on at all? You wouldn't be able to enjoy the extra power for too long. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't running a twin turbo setup on a 6.2 be a little much for an engine that's not heat treated for even a single? I wouldn't be afraid to run one (am considering a banks 6.2 or a stock 6.5) but running two sounds like a little much. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the size of the 2 and if they are waste gated or not.
    What it all comes down to is boost level and EGT's, if you stay within low PSI's and monitor the EGT's you are fine wether it's 1, 2 or 4 turbos.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif