Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 uh oh white smoke

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by agrezy1, Mar 1, 2003.

1. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

okay heres the deal radiator had some leaks hauled home a load of sand in the pick up the temp gauge was broke it didnt seem to be running hot ran just like normal pulled some pretty good hills got home and got out of truck noticed some white smoke on pass side exhaust went to pull rad cap off never did find after it shot somewhere in space anyway assumed it was probally was a head gasket poss cracked head put some block seal in it drove it around off and on for past two weeks no problem but today hooked onto 26 foot travel trailer got about two blocks and white smoke again still runs smooth though never had one of these engines apart before dont know if it has 192,000 or 292,000 on it up till this point been very dependable i dont want to junk it but iam worried that it will cost more to get the heads repaired than worth or put new heads on and the lower end will let loose what do you guys think! or worse case ill drop a small block in it would rather not thogh /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

If its the heads its not that hard to do, just a pain in the ass.

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif wow dude you shouldn't take that rad cap off hot! I had a friend that did that at the 7-11 in town, he burnt his face real bad. He had skin literally hanging off his face. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifBlew his sunglasses right across the parking lot.

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I think thats why they make radiator caps the way they are, as a safety feature.

5. agrezy1

okay maybe taking off the cap hot when engine is running not the safest but a little smarter than standing over looking at the cap i need info on if anyone has had this problem before like a cracked head if so where did it crack? and was it repairable or get new head /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Mine wasnt cracked, I had a broke head bolt. I already had the new heads so I just replaced them both anyways.

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

First off, find somebody that has a pressure guage that you put on the radiator in place of the rad cap. Do this on a cold engine. Start the engine, and let it idle. If the pressure starts to build, and doesn't stop, then you know you're getting combustion gases into the coolant. Remember that it's normal for the cooling system to build pressure up to about 6 or 7 psi. If it gets above that and keeps going without stopping, then you have a problem.

If the system is building pressure, here's a test to determine which side the problem is on. Remove all the drive belts so that the water pump will not spin. Remove the water crossover pipe from the engine...the one where the thermostat is in. Then you'll notice coolant in both heads just sitting there. Start the engine, and then look for bubbles coming out of the coolant on one side or the other. That should tell which side it's on.

Remove both heads no matter what. It's not that much trouble to remove two heads if you have to remove one. Most likely it will be a blown head gasket. By knowing which side is leaking combustion, you can narrow the search area down for the problem.

It's normal for the heads to have some small cracks. If the cracks protrude between the valve seats, there are kits out there made by K-Line to repair the heads.

Install new gaskets and get new head bolts, don't reuse the old ones. Do a very careful job of torquing the heads.

The gaskets will be a little more than a small block, and the cost of the head bolts will be a little extra. Otherwise, it's a cheap fix.

Don't worry about the bottom end of the engine....the 6.2L will last forever as far as bearings go.

Whatever you do, don't swap the motor out for a gasser! Sell it to someone who will fix it and get another truck if you want to go that route!

Good luck!

Casey

8. agrezy1

thanks man this helps alot i will get into it early this spring once my busy season is over it should make a good project for my slow time if its just a head gasket should i do anything with the heads or just put them back on? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Have the shop check them for straightness, and if needed, have them shaved.

Casey

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...Don't worry about the bottom end of the engine....the 6.2L will last forever as far as bearings go...
    Good luck!

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Well except if you run the engine for 5 years towing a boat without ever changing the oil /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That's how I got the Engine in my van, one bearing was completely gone and took some of the crank journal with it.
    But I agree I haven't heard of many bottom failiures.