Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 vs.350, I need your advise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyDie6.2, Jun 29, 2000.

1. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

This is my truck:

I have an 83 Jimmy With the original 6.2c motor, a 700r4 I just had rebuilt 1000miles ago, 3.42 gears and 33x12.5 tires. no lift (some cutting required).

This is the dilemma:

The truck has (which was given to me), hundreds of thousands of miles 400 or so. No matter how hot or cold the weather she always starts and goes, real slow by the way, but she leaks oil, copius amounts, from what I thought was the rear main seal, it wasn't. I shot a whole weekend jacking the 850 pound motor out of the compartment to change the "rope seal" because a mechanic told me that was the problem. Now I find out its leaking from the back of the intake manifold and the front of the timing cover and the crank snout. The engine also at idle when shes all warmed up has a little, what I think is a, rod bang...not much, but its there. Once I hit the gas she evens out and feels unstoppable even though she smokes like mad( I cannot open the back window for fear of asphyxiation). So do I rip this motor out and replace the seals and bearing and gaskets and rings (rebuild) ???? ....OR

Drop in my mad 350 from my old 81 suburban. This is a corvette motor and headed 350 .040 over professionally built. edlebrock manifold and carb RV cam with 18,000 miles on it. The best way to tell you about this motor is to say that from long Island to Buffalo and back with A full bodied chevelle on a trailer we went 70 mph the whole way with 4.10 gears. No problems. What do you guys think???
    I get about 20 mpg with the 6.2, I won't get over 10 with the 350...also if I put in the gas motor what will I need to change beside the torque converter, headers (exhaust), motor mounts, TV cable for the tranny....Thanks in advance. JS

2. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

you'll have to but a booster on the breaks. In my opinion I would fix the 6.2 I have one and love it.with gas prices the way they are.I've never known a diesel that didn't leak somewhere

fix'n finally

3. JimmyDie6.2

I have the hydroboost....will I still have to change it????

4. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

don't know that much about the swap. I am putting a new 6.2 in mine now. considered a gasser but found a cheep 6.2 figured it would be alot easier. someone told me about the brakes.

fix'n finally

5. JimmyDie6.2

if your going the other way around gas to diesel you WILL need the hydroboost because the diesel makes no vacuum

6. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

If you switch to gas, you can use the hydroboost brake booster! I recently purchased my first diesel. It's an 84 1/2 ton 2-wheel drive with a 6.2 N.A., granny 4-speed, and 3:08 rearend gears. I'm getting 20 miles to a gallon and paying around $.15 per gallon less for diesel than everyone else is for unleaded. I love mine!

baldbandit

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Keep the 6.2, add a turbo. I am rebuilding the 6.2 in my '83 long bed. It is important to balance the crank on these motors. I also had the new pistons coated (Swain) Ceramic on top and slippery stuff on the skirts. I hope this will reduce friction and maybe increase MPG. see http://www.thedieselpage.com/ for information on 6.2 and 6.5

SteveB