Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 water pump options

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by big_truxx, Jan 26, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Do they make an elec water pump for the 6.2?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Uh, why? Spend money to make things more complicated and less reliable, doesn't make sense.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:p: that didn't answer the ? I am wondering due to a custom project I would like to work on in the future. Doing some homework now though. Will be a tight fit for the 6.2 and an elec pump would work better so I could eliminate the pulley and all that sticking out.

4. BlueBlazer

I have never seen one and I doubt anyone makes one unless you can adapt one for a big block to a 6.2.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Do you think they have the same bolt and water hole patterns?

6. BlueBlazer

I would seriously doubt it.

7. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You would be the first.

Based on the output ratings for belt driven 6.2/6.5 water pumps, and that IDI diesels have a lot of heat transfer to the head, I don't think that you can get the gpm flow in order to make the engine cool properly - about 80 gpm minimum. The highest I've seen for an electric was 35 gpm.

Gassers are entirely different from our diesels. The only thing that swaps over is motor mounts.

It's an interesting idea, but here's something else to consider. The water pump doesn't stick out that far. The body of the pump is almost flush with the front cover unlike SBC & BBC water pumps which stick way out there.

What's your "secret project," or can't you tell me?:grin:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well as you probably know by the nickname in my signature I am a mad scientist. :grin: I am thinking about popping a 6.2 in a Fiero. I know the SBC works quite well in them but I am always thinking about a new and improved idea. I actually have a whole bunch on "the drawing board" which I have listed on my web site. I think that I could get some really nice figures as far as MPG would be concerned from the 6.2 in something like the Fiero. Not worrying at all about speed or anything as that's where the SBC swap performs miracles. I had seen someone in Canada swap a 6.5 into a 77 vette and get 48mpg (imperial gallon) and know the vette is heavier than the fiero :grin: I can't say as I recall how the 6.2 water pump looks. But on the SBC swap there is an option for a custom shaf and pulley setup that sticks out of the inner fender a small bit. So it definately is doable that way. Only time and trial and error will decide how it will all go together :grin: