Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2--Why wont it start with WD-40??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dallassnowman, Jul 10, 2004.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

Tried charging batteries.
    Main prob is air in lines after changing lift pump.
    But cant get it to start.
    Tried wd-40 while wife is cranking it, all I get is smoke out the tail pipe. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you need to bleed out the fuel filter to get the air out wd isn't going to work either would but with out getting the air out it won't help

3. dallassnowman

I thought it would at least fire over with wd-40.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Did you replace the glow plugs yet?

It isn't a gas engine, it needs heat to ignite and with a cold engine you'll need GP's to get anything. Ether will cause some major destruction if used with GP's though so don't use that.

If you have 8 good GP's that are cycled and hot and add a bit of WD40 while cranking it should fire momentarily.

Rene

5. dallassnowman

Well guess thats what im doing next,.... buying that tool to get stuck glow out!!

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I think I can make a tool like that--looks like a regular metric nut sawed in half,on a fancy keychain for 70+bucks--too steep for me!.I have better plans for 70 bucks,like renewing the plates that run out at the end of the month,and a trip to the package store and fill my fuel tank for that much!.Or it will stay 7 glow plugs--better than the 3 working ones it had before!. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    I hope you get it going--keep plugging away and it will all work out--I thought I made a big mistake when I bought my 82 K20 with the 6.2--but Rene and a few others on here helped me out a lot-my only diesel experience was a VW Jetta I had,and I didnt have to ever touch it,so I didnt know that much about them.He told me how to hook up a manual glowplug switch,and I also read about the electric fuel pump on the diesel board,doing that ,and fixing leaky hoses and lines,new G60 ac glow plugs and I also found out my cold start advance wire was cut,no juice to it!.Thanks to CK5 I now have a decent running truck that gets better fuel mileage than my C10 6 banger,plus it is 4wd and has a plow.Its probably the best truck I've had so far,as long as it stays like it is,I'll have it a long time--and if it doesnt,I would probably put another diesel in it--gas motors are too thirsty,and I like the tourque--it outplows my 400 smallblock truck no problem at all.
    I admit I did have to use ether to get mine going initially,but I was certain to disable the glow plugs first,and even then I cringed when I heard that awful "spark knock"sound,like pistons cracking--but it started up!,and havent had any trouble so far!(yet! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)now watch it act up because I said that! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I really dont reccomend ether--only as a last resort,like if your going to die in a blizzard if you dont get it started or something. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif