Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 wiring, hook ups, etc.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big4x4ride, Nov 9, 2006.

1. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

Bascially what I am doing is dropping a 6.2 into an 85 chevy 2wd 3/4 ton that was a 350/th400 rig. I have already bought the converter for the diesel so that is covered. Correct me if I am wrong, but my 6.2 is set up for 12 volts. Basically I need starter power (same as gas), alternator wiring(same as gas) switched power to the injector pump (same as the coil on gas), and momentary switched 12V power for glow plugs (through a relay). As far as brakes and tranny go, I am told by a buddy that has swapped a 6.2 in his rig that the stock vacuum pump will work to drive vacuum boost brakes, and should work just fine to control the vacuum needed for the th400 modulator. As far as fuel lines, I will convert the line that was runnign to the charcoal canister to my return line and everything else will stay the same. I am wanting to run an electric fuel pump (low pressure) to help in priming the system, should I run this with the mechanical lift pump, or run it instead of the mechanical lift pump? Also, where is a good place to find/buy a set of oil cooler lines for this thing? Thanks guys

2. mulletman671

mulletman671 Registered Member

I would use a holley blue fuel pump(about 15 psi) instead of the lift pump you got in there, plus change the modulator valve for the tranny.... you need one adjusted for a diesel, unless you have an adjustable one that your gonna change yourself. Hit up jegs for a oil cooler kit, they're cheap and work well. As for vacuum, that pump pulls more than enough for the brakes and the mod.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

brakes??..

I kind of doubt the stock vacuum pump will have enough gusto to run a vacuum brake booster...I have never tried it,but have read others posts here who said it was not sufficient..I'd get the hydroboost brakes that belong on a diesel,,or maybe swap a larger pump off another vehicle that runs off the V-belt instead..

Oil cooler hoses can be made up at a hydraulic hose shop much cheaper and from better hoses than a dealer sells,if you dont want to buy an aftermarket oil cooler..I would,I've seen the OEM cooler inside the radiator,I tore one out when I scrapped a 6.2 radiator..--its not big at all,and looks very restrictive to me--when my hoses go on my 6.2,I think I'm going to an aftermarket cooler..:crazy:

4. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

Most of what you said sounds fine. You don't need and electric pump, but it can make priming filters easier. The injection pump will run just the same with zero pressure as it will with 10 PSI - it just has to have fuel available. Those injection pumps are sometimes used with no lift-pumps at all - when gravity feed is available.

With glow -plugs - save yourself some trouble and make sure you've got the Delco #AC60Gs and not the older crap that Delco sold. They won't burn out if someone holds the button in for more than 9 seconds. They are actually made by Beru in Germany and put into a Delco box, and much better than any plug Delco ever made.

In regard to the brakes - yes the vacuum pump will run them - regardless if you have the belt-driven or gear-driven - assuming it's working - many aren't. The older Ford F250 trucks with diesels use the vacuum boosters - I have two.

For controlling the vacuum to the modulator - you need a VRV valve bolted to the fuel-injection pump (vacuum regulating valve). If it came from a setup with a T400 - it will already have it. Otherwise - you'll have to screw around - with such things as a mechancial control for the trans - I have one like that in an 83 K5. I have several VRV valves laying around if you cannot find one. I've two complete diesel parts trucks with T400s parked out in my field - 83 K5 and a 88 GMC V20 Suburban.

A good diesel fuel filter is a must. I like the 85 and up units GM uses with the built-in fuel heater. The older 6.2s had a separate fuel-heater that is under the intake manifold.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The stock 'brick' fuel filters are a POS. I put a Racor 445R on - it has manual priming pump.

I don't run a cooler on my basic DD. I'd consider it if it had a turbo or towed with it.

Got your dual batteries?