Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 with 6.5 heads and turbo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by M-1028, Apr 15, 2005.

1. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Hey guys
    I came a cross a tired 95 6.5 TD (the bottom end has a bad knock) for REALLY cheap, and need to know if it would be worth it to install the turbo and possibly even the heads on my 6.2. About how much boost does the factory turbo push and would the heads be worth the effort.
    Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Don't quote me but about 10 psi of boost I think. Banks pushes like 15PSI. If its really cheap I'd definetally get it, as long as its the mechanical controlled setup.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Just a summary from what I understand (and I havent done this yet myself!)

I think you can acutally push more than 10- That should be a GM7 or 8 turbo. (More efficient turbo from what I hear). I dont know if its "worth" it though, it depends on how bad the "knock" is. You also still need to get a manual boost controller. The cross over pipe wont work right from the 6.5 on your 6.2 due to the frame clearance issues- The down pipe doesnt fit right either. The manifold and turbo will interfere with factory AC on the pre 88 pickups, and doesnt fit on the pre 91 blazer/subs. You will probably want to pickup a banks exhaust manifold.

I picked up my gm8 turbo for about 150. An intake plenium and Correctly oriented J code intake will be about 200. exhuast manifold, about 50-100.

All in all, if you can get the whole motor for under 600 you'd still be ahead of the game.

4. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

All I have to do is trade the guy for some 52" rear springs, and some shocks. So I think I'm getting a good deal. Thanks for the input guys

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

sounds like a sweet deal. I'd jump on it.

Pookster, where did you source your parts? Local yard or new stuff?? Any part numbers?? How about photos of the install?

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Turbo was used off EBAY-
    Exhuast Manifold: Ebay
    Flowmaster Downpipe & Crossover Pipe- This muffler/performance shop down in FL. shipped it to me. THey were speedy, and even with shipping, was about 20 bucks cheaper than summit.
    Intake Plenium- I decided that not being able to fine a 6.5 TD manifold and plenium for cheap (they were all going for mega bucks) it was cheaper to order the Banks Intake plenium from the Sidewinder(approximately 220 with screws and bolts). I can then bring the setup to any bending shop so they can bend me the proper hose setup to run an intercooler setup. The banks one, rotated 180 degrees will provide me with a drivers side intake, rather than the passenger side. Now all I need to do is find a cheap intercooler. THe Banks plenium also has a pre threaded tap for the boost pressure.

THe guys over at oliver diesel know this stuff very well-as well as AGdieseler, knows this very well.