Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 with a Turbo, mileage/power

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by sled_dog, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I'm being evil seeing as I'm a Cummins fan but I'm thinking about a 6.2 for my Suburban. The possibility of a steady 15mpg(even at the slightly higher price of Diesel, PA has the highest Diesel tax in the country I believe), and some pulling power at nice. I may have a line on a 6.2 in need of a rebuild and the person used to have a turbo setup for it so I may be able to get that as well.

What do you folks running 6.2s with Turbos think? Like the power gain? What do you really think you gained power wise? Do you have your injection pumps cranked up? What kind of mileage do you pull off with the turbo setup? Do you have a Banks setup, retrofit 6.2 or something else? Anyone running an intercooler?

Sorry I must admit I haven't searched, I'm a newbie to the GM diesels. I'm thinking 6.2 with mild port work, Hummer intake, turbo setup, maybe an intercooler. Could be a nice fuel efficient daily driver seutp.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Truck specs are in sig, Banks was installed when I bought it, pump is not turned up a lot I don't think. Max EGT I have seen is about 950, it gets a good 15-16 mpg driving 65 to work and back, never had it loaded down real good yet. Feels like about 200 hp or so and very torquey. It is worth it if you get a real good deal on the turbo and engine, and the engine needs to be in really good shape.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I went to the Banks site, it looks like the turbo isn't the only exhaust path on that side. Am I correct that not all the exhaust gas goes through the turbo? Why is that? What kind of boost does the kit create?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

There is a crossover pipe that goes just under the damper and goes to the Banks manifold, so all of the exhuast goes into the turbo. I can hit 14 psi right before I am ready to shift at WOT. Some with Banks turbos report closer to 10 or 11. I believe this depends on the vintage of turbo setup.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ahh now that makes sense. Can the motor take more boost than that?