Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2 wont start!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BigBlockBurris, Oct 28, 2006.

1. BigBlockBurris

BigBlockBurris 1/2 ton status

The truck- 1983 CUCV, completely stock.

Been sitting a while (local goverment). Got it home, fresh batteries & fluids and it runs. I had to start it on ether ( I know... ). Anyway, after it cranks if you let it set for 10- 15 minutes it will not crank back without ether. I am getting 24 volts to the glow plugs but I know that does not guarantee they are working. But I can let it run till it is good and warm, let it set 10 minutes and no start back, just spins over. Could I be loosing prime? Injector pump? Stopped up fuel filter??????

Whatcha' think????

Thanks in advance.

BBB

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like dead glow plugs to me...

Rene

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I believe you are getting Rusty :D :haha:

It most probably is the IP when it gets warm it doesn't contain enough pressure.
    Try adding ATF to the fuel if it helps it's the IP.
    It could also be a problem in your injectors, they might need cleaning.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The glow plugs will burn out if you measure 24V at the plugs. Should be 12V there.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I might be wrong, I certainly don't consider myself any sort of expert but if the only way it'd start was ether that tells me dead GP's. The fact it starts says there is no airlock problem.

It could also have a poor starter to go along with the GP's being dead...my first starter was a rehashed 28MT that was borderline. My crank speed was marginal and it would never start without cycling the GP's no matter how warm it was. With the new 28MT (and probably double the crank speed) it'll flash up even if it's only a little warm, without any cycling of the GP's.

Rene

6. BigBlockBurris

BigBlockBurris 1/2 ton status

Glow plugs

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I am going to start at the gp's. I am however now confused. I measure 24 volts at the gp's. Should it be 12 or 24? Also my crank speed is pretty good, but I will keep new starter in mind. What are the best gp's and where to get them? Thanks again.

BBB:D

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

There is a resistor inline with the glowplug wiring on the CUCV trucks to drop the voltage to 12V. But it requires 8 good glow plugs to work properly. So when one burns out the voltage goes up a little on the remaining 7 which makes another one burn out faster, voltage goes up a little more, speeding up the failure of the next and so on... when they are all dead it will now be 24V at the glowplugs.

I would replace all the GP's and recheck your voltage. Should be down to 12V when they are all replaced and working.

After that consider converting the truck to 12V. Very easy to do and worth while.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Could also be an air leak somewhere in the fuel lines. I was able to get mine to start and run after priming it, would run good as long as I didn't turn it off. As soon as I shut it of I would have to reprime it just to get it running again. Found my lose hose and bad hose and now it starts everytime.