Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGCHEVY4X, May 27, 2005.

1. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

Im runnoing an 82 6.2 diesel and ive heard alot about it being slow but realable and all that and i was just woundering how they perform off road, if at all. I bpought my truck for 500 bucks with a blown 6.2 and i bought a 6.2 for 350 bucks and put it in but theres a huge loss of power and i think its retarted injection timing so im nervous taking it off road when it can barley get up big asfhault hills. This is my toy and i plan to have alot of fun with it. When i save up a bunch of money i either want to put a 454 or a cummins 24 valve, but i just wanted to know if the 6.2 would be good for now. thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have an 82 K20,6.2 also...

You might have a restricted fuel line or filter,or a clogged air filter if its that low on power..injector pump timing will reduce power also if its off by very much,but unless you disturbed the pump,it should not have changed(there is a timing mark in the pump and the block where it bolts too--they should be lined up with each other)...my 6.2 is no ball of fire,but it will push more snow with less "pedal" than my 400 SB used too in my other truck--and it will never stall when I climb up steep snowbanks like the gas motor would!..I think it will run upside down if it had too..!

You have an automatic tranny??or a manual??--your truck might have "tall" highway gears,like 3.08's,that will reduce power a lot--diesels often used the high gear ratio's and the overdrive 700R4 trannys to reduce RPM's(diesels like to lug rather than wind out like a gas motor),also to improve fuel economy...
    But put big tires on such a rig,and it will be a snail!...you probably would have to use low range to get up some hills off road if thats the case.

.You'll have to do some snooping and see if the timing is right,and you are getting ample fuel to the injectors,and the air filter is very important on a diesel--it clogs a lot faster than a gas motor one will,because the diesel sucks in as much air as a gas motor will wide open ALL the time,even at idle!...and they need lots of fresh air for good combustion...putting some fuel system cleaner in the tank wont hurt any either--the injectors on your 'used" engine might be dirty,that will reduce power and make it smokey.. :crazy:

3. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Drove a blazer with a 6.2 in it for a couple years. Wouldn't through you back in your seat but it didn't hold up traffic either. Was great off road and couldn't beat the mpg. :D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine has plenty of power, but it's geared decently and is backed by an SM 465...

Rene

5. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

The fuel and air cleaners are new. It was airbound so i pulled all the injectors and cleaned them and cleaned the whole fuel system. It does make big smoke clouds going up big hills doing 40. Its an auto TH400(rebuilt a few months back) Ive tried useing a few bottles of injector cleaner. The truck ran awesome before the friend i got from overheated it and blew ther heads. The 6.2 I got was from a military truck that rolled a few times.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dunno, my 6.2's feel much like my 350's.... just not as good when you need that sudden boost in speed at high RPM.