Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Seventy4Blazer, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im looking at a 6.2L diesel with 100k on it. running for a very nice price. i guess it is a comlete engine. i cant see it until the 19th or so. but i was wondering if there are any years or versions of 6.2 that are better than others? anything i should look for? anything i can check without tearing the motor appart? im sure i can pull the valve covers, but would that be worth it? or take the two folks word for it(one i trust, the other guy(owner of engine) i dont know.)
    thanks guys an gals
    Grant

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Other than how it starts, runs, drives. Look for a compression check - its really the only way to tell the level of wear in the engine. If it's only got 100k and it's been taken care of - it's probably got plenty of life left. A mandatory check is to visually examine the vibration dampner on the crank. If the runbber is cracked AT ALL, or if there is ANY bulging AT ALL, replace it immediatly. Failure of the thin rubber membrane will cause catastrophic crankshaft failure.