Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2diesel or 454 in 70' k5???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by georgeiswinning, Apr 1, 2007.

1. georgeiswinning

georgeiswinning Newbie

i just aquired a 70 k5, and have two complete chevy 4x4's.... an 86diesel blazer and a 81' 2500 suburban with a 454 to use for donor vehicles. the 70k5 has no engine and needs a new master cylinder and gas tank.. could i upgrade my brake system with either donor vehicle? i'll be putting the dana 60 and 14 bolt from my suburban into it...

mainly what problems would i come across putting my 6.2 into the blazer. i dont need alot of power, and i really like the gas milage i got with it.

70'k5 th350 np205

81 suburban
    454 th400 np208
    dana 60/14bolt

86 6.2 700r4 208

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

When I see people posting about putting a Diesel in a 67-72 most often the responses are that the frames will need lots of beefing. You might want to look into swapping the K5 onto the new K5's frame, that might be a very good solution. Save alot of fabrication.

The Diesel will probably have hydroboost - I used a gas engine truck's hydroboost on my truck - I don't know if the Diesel truck's hydroboost would be any different. You can see lots of pics of my hydroboost swap at my website listed in my signature. You can also see lots of pics and info about my bbc swap.

Keep us posted.

3. jeffspower

jeffspower Newbie

I test- fitted a 6.2 in a '72 4x4 4spd. years ago. It's a nogo with the clutch linkage. You would have to go hydraulic. Auto trans. wouldn't be as tough. BUT, the engine won't "come together" with the bellhousing without cutting out a section of the firewall in the clutch rod passthru area. I had to do this when I put my 500 Caddy in. A body lift makes it easier. I didn't have a body lift originally, but do have 3" now. Also, you can bolt '72 mounts to the 6.2, but the exhaust manifolds will hit the frame keeping the mounts from making it home. You would probably have to make a custom crossmember & mount setup, or try to work with a '73- up crossmember. Here's some pics of my firewall. I have a nice cab I'm going to be installing someday, I plan on forming & fitting to make it look OE on that one.

72 firewall 002.jpg

72 firewall 003.jpg