Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L a detroit motor??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by k5blazin, Aug 29, 2005.

1. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

I was told when i bought my truck that Detroit built the 6.2 and not gm. I then talked to my machine shop guy last weeks and he said that its just a beefed up 350. which one is right here guys??

2. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

The GM 5.7L diesel was based off the Olds 350 V8 gasoline engine. The 6.2L and 6.5L were true diesel engines built by Detroit Diesel Division of General Motors. They share general engine dimensions, engine mounts and bell housing bolt patterns with GM gasoline engines, but nothing else is common.

3. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

Sweet. thanx man.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Stay away from any shops that don't know the difference between a 5.7L Oldsmobile diesel from a 6.2L Detroit diesel! Unfortunately, this includes a LOT of machine shops and mechanics.

I don't know how many times I've argued with someone about the history of the 6.2L. Anyone who has actually looked closely at the 6.2L can realize it isn't based on any gas engine. Just look at the valley between the two bank of cylinders....doesn't look anything like a gasser. There are no water passages in the intake manifold at all...it's a dry manifold, unlike gassers of the same era.

However, the 5.7L looks an awful lot like a gasser, with the same style of intake manifold covering the valley that the Olds 350 gasser had, with water passages and all.

Casey

5. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Geez... I can't believe how many times I have heard someone say "the guy at the machine shop or my friend who is a mechanic says that the 6.2 is just a converted 350"

Its not like its some rare engine that nobody ever sees.

Detroit Diesel Corporation was owned by General Motors. Detroit designed the 6.2 for GM

If I had the money I would hire a dadgum airplane to pull a banner across the sky with that saying in it.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Olds Diesel nightmare!

The 5.7 Olds based 350 Diesel was a mistake right from the start!--so many of them failed with less than 50,000 miles it caused GM a big loss in sales--and unfortunately its poor reputation lives on,and many think the 6.2 is based on the same engine,but its a whole new animal..

The Olds diesel is nothing more than an Olds 350 gas motor block,converted into a diesel--with injectors on diferent heads,and a vacuum pump where the distributor went..little if any beef was added to the main bearing webs in the block,and 90% of them cracked there at low mileage..I remember our local telephone company dumping their entire fleet of 1980-81 Diesel GM pickups due to them having so many of them blow up at low mileage!(My friend bought 2 of them for 1500 bucks each at the auction,and put 455 Olds gas motos in them--the trucks were only 3 years old!)..

Not many gas engines can withstand the compression loads and added strain of diesel combustion--only VW seems to have succeded in making a diesel out of a gas motor,and have it live as long as a gas motor...most all other "conversions" were a dismal failure..(Olds also had a 260 V8 Diesel in some cutlasses and even Monte Carlo's and El-Camino's were available with them--few if any still exist--basically the same as the 5.7 motor..junk!..

I hear a lot of guys who see my truck say "Oh,its a diesel"--like its a dissapointment or something!..even though the Olds diesel hasn't been around for over 20 years,everyone thinks EVERY diesel GM made since is just as bad!--when I tell them its basically a Detroit Diesel designed engine,and they use them in Humvee's,they still roll their eyes and say " its still a piece of junk--they always break crankshafts"!..true,some 6.2's do!--but there is usually a good reason,like a bad harmonic balancer,or lack of maintenence..not EVERY 6.2 has a "junk crank" like they would like you to believe..

You would be suprised how many GM trucks get junked here,just because they are a diesel,and failed to start one cold winter day!-( or some "expert told them "Diesels are junk,and expensive to fix")-I wish I could have gotten them all before the scrapyard did..such a waste!--just because people dont understand a diesel needs regular maintenence,and special care in the winter..or are afraid of them "blowing up",because the poor reputation of the 5.7 Olds based ones lives on,20+ years later...I know of one nice truck that got scrapped,just because the guys wife didn't know how to start it properly in the cold weather! :screwy: :( :mad: :crazy:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

lol i love the 6.2 :waytogo:

8. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Reminds me of when I bought my 6.2 K5. I thought I was going to be disowned by my Dad and brother. I had to argue that 6.2L is not 5.7L (mathamatically and physically) and then the history and on and on and on... My wife just sat back and laughed ( :haha: :haha: :haha: )at them. I heard about my brother's friend who is a part-time junkyard mechanic (now that is a source) who just knew all about it. :rolleyes:

Could I change their minds, oh no. But Dad went to a Furd dealer "friend" :bow: who just raved about the 6.2 and all was setteled.

I guess this is a long going deal with them though. I still have to argue mechanics with them, and that is what I went to school for!!! I guess they still think I am 12 or something like that. Truth be told, I don't like shortcutting something (especially when its safty related) and that's all they can do. Dumba$$e$!!!