Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L article in Diesel Power Magazine

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arveetek, Nov 4, 2005.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I was browsing the magazine rack at Wal-Mart last week, and came across a new magazine called Diesel Power. It's devoted to the 'turbo-diesel enthusiast.' In the most recent issue there's an article on rebuilding the 6.2L engine, along with adding a Banks turbo, DSG timing gears, and stud girdle kit. It's a fairly good article, with a few mistakes, but all in all, quite interesting. It's pretty cool to see a modern diesel magazine devote an article to the 6.2L. I thought ya'll might enjoy reading it!

You can read the article here. I did the same things to my engine, as well as bore it .040" over and use custom made ceramic-coated pistons, which lowered my compression a little. I would definitely classify my engine as a 'stump-puller' now.

Later!

Casey

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Cool, I will have to read it

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Casey,,, I (we) have followed your buildup with interest... Could you update us as to how many miles youve put on the rebuild...how its still performing...mileage.. cooling issues etc... and what you might have done differently...
    I think your build would make a nice permanent sticky... thanks for the build up article...

thanks

cam

4. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

also what were their "mistakes" during the rebuild/article :bow:

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

As far as 'mistakes' in the article go, there are really only two that I see: first of all, they said that the 6.5L replaced the 6.2L in 1994. Actually, the 6.5L debuted in 1992, and 6.2L production ceased in 1993. Secondly, they said they used 80G glow plugs, and I don't believe there is such a thing. Could have been a misprint. I'm sure they meant 60G.

I do have some opinions that differ from theirs, however. I wouldn't turn down any 6.2L, no matter what year, simply because it has V-belts or older style heads. There's a pretty good chance that even a 1992 model engine will have trashed heads. Plus, an '82 block is supposed to be stronger than later years. I can see their point about having to purchase new heads and a serpentine setup later, but you can run V-belts with no problem, and the '82 heads aren't junk, you just won't be able to run turbo injectors in them.

I also disagreed with their statements regarding the rocker arm assemblies, at first. I used the older cast rocker arms because I thought they were stronger, and they are, and because the newer rocker arms are held in place with plastic retainers which can break. Well, I've been talking it over with others, and apparently the older cast rocker arms are bad about wearing their bushings out and becoming loose. I didn't check that on my engine rebuild, at least not that closely. Now I'm fighting a rough idle problem, and I'm wondering if I need to swap out my rocker assemblies.

I think that's about it as far as the article goes.

I'll post my engine update in another thread.

Casey

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Casey
    I have a couple of engine blocks here and I was wondering which ones are worth keeping and which ones not.
    I have a couple of vehicles awaiting engines but I have probably one more than I need and I have someone wanting to buy a cheap core to rebuild.
    I have an 82 complete engine good but missing a chunk where the starter bolts up
    I have an 83 long block supposedly good missing intake
    I have an 85 complete still in truck needs rebuild
    I have an 86 complete pulled from a smooth running truck
    And I have a 93 from a hummer stripped block with all the parts needed to reassemble minus the heads.
    Should I sell the 83 or the 85
    Is there a good way to fix the 82 block where the starter bolts up considering I will put a reduction starter with the rear brace.
    By the way all engines are J code :D
    I heard the intake is not the only difference, and that the heads are also better design?

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The '82 block can be repaired if not too much of the starter 'ear' is broken off. Mine was broken off too, but only about 1/2 of the outer bolt hole was missing. The machine shop welded the 'ear' back together, and now I just use a longer bolt with a nut on top. You'll have to talk to a machine shop to see if the block can be repaired, and how expensive it will be.

The only differences between the '83 and '85 would be the rocker assemblies. I'm not sure when they changed...I know that in '83 they still had cast rockers, and in '86 they had stamped. Other than that, I'd pull the pans and inspect the main webs to see if there's any cracks in either block. I would toss any block, no matter what year, if it had any cracks in it. Or, let the person interested in the motors pull the pan and let them decide which one they wanted!

The only real difference in the heads between C and J is the size and shape of the precombustion chambers in the heads. The precombustion chambers fit snugly into the heads and can be popped out. If you have a set of C code heads and want the most power, replace the precups with a set of 6.5L turbo precups. If you want the most economy, go with n/a 6.2L precups. '82 heads had larger exhaust valves, but a bigger tendency to crack between the valves. That's why later heads used smaller exhaust valves, but they still can crack between the valves. Those kind of cracks can be repaired by putting sleeves between the valves in the cooling passages. Others can be welded. I would recommend sleeving the cooling passages on ANY set of heads you have rebuilt....it's good insurance.

Since all your engines are J code, I wouldn't worry about changing the pre-combustion chambers. I'm still using the original precups that came with the '86 C code heads I'm using. I don't think they make all that much difference.

Of course, the biggest difference with '82 heads are the coarse-thread injectors. That's the biggest reason not to use them.

Casey

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

By the way, that's a pretty big collection you have there!

Besides the '82 I'm running in my truck, I have a good '83 motor and an '86 motor with a thrown-rod...but I think the block is still good.

I had a guy call last week wanting to sell me a complete '93 6.5L including the turbo, but I already have a garage full of spare parts. I am trying to talk my brother into converting his '73 Dodge 1 ton over to 6.5L, though! That 440 of his is one big gas guzzler! No more than he uses it, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost and effort.

Casey

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The 3 84 CUCV motos that I have taken apart all have the stamped rockers so I would assume that was the year of transition.

10. Keith in CO

Keith in CO Registered Member

Casey, Thanks for the info. I am looking for a 6.2 for one of my trucks (crying "Uncle" on the gas my big block is sucking) and am not clear on what years I should be looking at for a donor. If 6.2 ceased in '93 does that mean some '93 vehicles may have the 6.2 and others the 6.5? Or, what years would you recommend I look for?

I got a '82 6.2 before I learned that there are differences between the years. It was running fine in the Burban it was in, so I plan to replace the harmonic balancer and the filters and then plug-n-play it. Since I gather I can't add a turbo to this 1982 engine due to the injector issue, I am looking for another 6.2 for my other truck that I can turbo and still avoid the 6.5 electronic issues.

Thanks in advance

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Keith,

Yes, some vehicles in 1992 and in 1993 had either the 6.2L or the 6.5L. Generally, most of the diesel vehicles in 92 had the 6.2L, with the 6.5L being introduced in only the heavy duty turbocharged models. In 93, most of the diesel vehicles had 6.5L's, but a few of the light duty 1/2 ton models still snuck out with the 6.2L. The 6.2L or the 6.5L will both swap in no problem, so if you find a 6.5L, don't automatically turn it down. All GM diesels up through 1993 had mechanical injection pumps, so they make a great swap candidate. In 1994, they went to an electronic injection pump, so it makes swapping that style of motor harder, because you'll have to buy a mechanical injection pump to make it work. However, the electronic 6.5L can be converted to the mechanical injection pump with no problem. You can even use a 6.2L pump if you have one. To make matters even more confusing, GM continued to offer the mechanically injected 6.5L in some van chassis models, alonside the electronic models. I don't believe any of those were turbo models, though, just n/a.

You can still add a turbo to the '82 engine with stock injectors. You don't have to upgrade injectors to run a turbo. Only if you want maximum power do you need to upgrade to 6.5L turbo injectors. You can still buy rebuilt injectors for the '82 model.

Again, just a short history here for future reference:

1982-6.2L introduced, using V-belts
    1988-6.2L, switched to serpentine belt.
    19??-I can't remember for sure when the 6.2L went to one-piece rear main seal, sometime after 1988.
    1991-last year of Suburban with n/a diesel.
    1992-6.5L introduced, built alongside 6.2L. In fact, both 6.2L and 6.5L share same casting number (-599), could be bored to either one. 6.5L's turbocharged in heavy-duty trucks, no diesel Suburban.
    1993-last year of limited 6.2L production, still no diesel Suburban. Most 6.5L models turbocharged, except for some vans.
    1994-Electronic DS4 injection pump introduced, diesel Suburban back again, all DS4 models turbocharged, a few mechanical models used in vans are n/a
    2000-last year of 6.5L in trucks, Suburbans, etc. 6.5L continues to be built and used for military purposes.
    2001-Duramax 6.6L introduced, no more diesel Suburban, Blazer, etc. :(

This brief history applies to civilian vehicles only. Military options were slightly different.

Casey

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One morething to add:
    since you brouhgt upthe fact there was no diesel sub in 92 or 93
    The full size blazer continued with IFS after 92 and had the 6.2l
    In 93 it was offered with the N/A 6.5l
    In 94 it was offered with the TD6.5l
    And in 95 it changed name to Tahoe. :D

13. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I did not realize that. I have never seen a '92-93 diesel Blazer, so I figured GM discontinued them like the Suburban. I'm not sure why they didn't make a diesel Suburban those two years, really.

I'll bet those 92-93 Blazers are prettty scarce, then? Kind of like my Tahoe...not very many around. I think there are more diesel Suburbans than Blazers or Tahoes.

And while I'm thinking about it, I'll mention that GM did not make a 4-door diesel Tahoe either. If you want a GM diesel SUV, it's either the 2-door Blazer/Tahoe, or the Suburban. You could get a 4-door gasser Tahoe, just not a diesel.

Casey

14. Keith in CO

Keith in CO Registered Member

6.2/6.5

Casey,
    Thanks for the info. This weekend I bought a 93 1-ton Chevy with a 6.5 and NV4500. The 6.5 has a thown rod. My idea is to use the turbo off of it on my 6.2, or get a running n/a 6.5 and use the turbo and mechanical injection system off my '93. What should I know about using the 6.5 turbo on my 6.2, and can I swap the 6.5 heads onto the 6.2? This engine is going into a vintage 4x4 project.

I was thinking I would inspect the main webs on the 6.2, install a new balancer, rear main seal, filters and timing chain. Don't know whether the DSG stud girdle kit is worth the $150.

15. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The 6.5L turbo system will bolt right on to a 6.2L. However, it depends on what style of truck it's going into on whether you'll have problems or not. The 73-87 body style trucks with a/c have clearance issues with the 6.5L turbos due to the a/c evaporator sticking way out into the engine compartment. If it doesn't have a/c, then no problem. Otherwise, you'll have to modify the evaporator box to allow the turbo to clear it.

Yep, 6.5L heads will bolt onto a 6.2L, and would be a good upgrade.

I agree, $150 seems like a lot of money for six bolts and two pieces of angle iron. I went ahead and purchased it for my 6.2L, just for extra insurance, but I'm not totally convinced it works. Nobody I know has run one long enough to see if it's prevented cracks or not.

Casey

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That's not completely accurate. I have a '90 K5 with the factory 6.2 option and it has V-belts.... three total, one for alternator, one for p/s pump, and one for the A/C (which uses the p/s pump pulley as an idler).......bought it in '94 with 49k on the odometer from the original GM dealership, so about 99.9% sure it was completely stock.

I would guess that maybe the 6.2 in the newer body style '88-up pickups had the serpentine belt setup, but the "old" body styles retained V-belts.

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have the same, a 1989 1ton C&C with the 6.2 and it has V belts.

18. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Okay, thanks for the additional info guys. I wasn't sure about that. I do know the '88+ body style trucks do, in fact, have serpentine-belted 6.2L's. I thought that the 88-91 Blazers and Burb's did too. I know the gasser models had serpentine belts in those years.

Those 88-91 models just throw everything off, don't they? New and old being made side by side. Makes getting the right parts quite a hassle.

Casey

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I wish mine had serpentine belts! Not sure why they didn't go to serpentine on the old body style versions??????

Yes! It took me several years to "learn the system" when ordering parts for my '90........got stuff meant for the '88-up body style trucks quite frequently at first.

20. Huffed Blazer

Huffed Blazer 1/2 ton status

So my 88' blazer has a 2 piece rear seal??
    I thought for sure that it was a 1 piece. That makes things a bit easier. :)