Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L bolt patterns

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Sparky87k5, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I have an opportunity to purchase a 90 Suburban 4x4 with a blown 6.2L engine. Having a rebuilt 427 gas engine in the garage makes me wonder the feasibility of swapping it into the Sub. Are bellhousing bolt patterns the same on auto trans? Engine mounts? Sell 427 and purchase 6.5L Turbo'd engine? New to diesels & so much to learn.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bellhousing patterns are the same. Engine mounts should bolt in - (not 100% sure - might need different crossmember - but I don't think so).

3. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

From what I've heard, it can be done (like anything), but you will also need to look into hacking up the wiring harness (or use aftermarket) as well as clean the tank/fuel lines etc. The 6.5 Turbo will bolt in easier as well (depending on the year - they started adding electronic control to both the trans and the injection pump after a certain year). About 95% of the 'hard parts' on the 6.5 will bolt onto the 6.2 and vice-versa (heads, intake, exhaust, etc.). FWIW, I'm pretty happy with my diesel (except maybe that it's non-turbo). azblazor is right though, the motor mounts and trans should bolt right up.

Jon

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

The diesel has a much lower stall torque converter than a gasser. Another thing to remember.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The bellhousing and motor mounts are the same.

As mentioned earlier, the TC has a lower stall speed, and the wiring will have to be changed.

A 6.5L TD won't bolt right in because the turbo will hit the A/C evaporator on the old body style truck. It would be easier to rebuild or replace the 6.2L, or install a 6.5L with a Banks system.

But definitely don't go gas!!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Casey