Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L coolant capacity

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Mastiff, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What's the coolant capacity on an M1008? All it says in my manual is "refill". I'd like to know how much to mix up.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Total capacity is 24.5 quarts. That would be with everything dry which is not easy to accomplish doing a coolant service. I may have got 21 quarts into mine during the swap...

Rene

3. Mastiff

Hmm. I only got less than 10 quarts in mine. I wonder if my block is full of water. I drained it all out because I had a freeze plug out, then I filled it with water to check for leaks and drained it again at the radiator. Then I put the flush stuff in, ran it, drained that and then ran the motor for a while with the petcock open and the hose going into the radiator... still with me? :grin:

So everything should have been full of clean water, I drained the radiator at the petcock and started filling with coolant. I put about 1.5 gallons of coolant and 1 gallon of water. If the thing really holds 6 gallons, then I'm way short on coolant. :confused: I need another 1.5 gallons of coolant at least.

4. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

goin all out

my auto shop said that using hose water isn't the best for cooling systems, and if you're going to go through all hassle of what you just talked about, is to fill it up with distilled water from the store. I guess the small minerals and contaminants in your hose water slowly creates somewhat of an acid in your cooling system because of all the heating/cooling it goes through. just my two cents.

5. Mastiff

How could you flush it that way though? I mean, because all the water doesn't come out when you drain the radiator anyway. I thought about using distilled for the fillup, but it'd still be mostly tap water.

I thought the new antifreezes had stuff in there to help with these problems anyway.

6. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

well if you go to the walmart garden center, they sell little magic pixi-faries and they'll perty much do whatever you tell them too. I use them all the time.:D . Yeah, but you have a point. I don't know how you could completely flush the hose water out unless you hung your truck out to dry.