Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2l diesel Blazer, Banks Turbo, and Emissions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2K5Blazer, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 6.2K5Blazer

6.2K5Blazer Registered Member

I have a Diesel Blazer I would like to put a Banks Turbo on, the problem is I am concerned about failing emissions testing.

I live in Washington and the blazer will need to be tested for the next four years. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with Banks and Emissions?

Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Unless you get carried away with turning up the fuel it should pass emissions easier with the turbo than without. If you have an auto it should also pass a lot easier than if you have a manaul tranny. Worst case scenario you can do what I did and install a temporary throttle stop limiting WOT to about 65% of max. My 6.2 is non turbo'd and I have a wide ratio manual tranny and mine still passes easily with the throttle stop installed. Without the stop it's too easy for the 'tech' to shift early and lug the bejeebus out of...which causes more smoke than you'd ever see in real life.

I used a small aluminum block and a tiny 'C' clamp up under the dash to limit my WOT position.

All they can really test for is opacity, measured as a percentage. The higher the percentage the more dense the smoke. Here I'm allowed 30% max opacity which is quite low.

The only way to make a diesel smoke is to overfuel it, which is a lot harder to do with an automatic tranny.

Rene

3. 75k10chevy

75k10chevy Registered Member

You will have to disconnect your smog hoses that go to the intake and cap them. When I instaled my banks turbo system I didnt and it was forcing air down into the crank case and blowing oil (alot of oil) out the vacuum pump at the back of the motor. I dont know if disconnecting the hoses will affect the smog test as I know nothing about smogging diesels.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You just need to move a little farther out... problem solved ;)

5. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

I had issues with my turbo passing emissions the first time as the PO that installed the turbo didnot turn the pump down.

I would suggest turning the pump down just a bit and I do not think you will have issues passing.

Here in Denver, emissions are slightly more forgiving for a NA versus a turbo and since the 6.2 is NA stock, I did not tell them it has a turbo installed, so I had a bit more room for error. I ended up not needing it as it passed just fine, but before-hand, I was send far too much fuel.

Hope that helps...