Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L Diesel Blazer <- ISO <- What Years??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AudieMurphy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. AudieMurphy

AudieMurphy Registered Member

Ive given up on the CUCV idea... So, for a civilian Blazer, what years were the 6.2L installed?

Is there any particular year that:
    1) Was better than others
    2) Was worse than others

Also, since Im a diesel noob, is there anything I should be looking for in particular??

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Shameless self-plug: everything you ever wanted to know may be found in the Brochures pages

The 6.2 started in '82; the Olds-ish 350 diesel was vaguely available before that, but I think only in pickups, not Blazers, and we don't talk about that abomination anyway. I believe the diesel was available through 1990 or 91.

There are two styles of intakes, so-called C and J codes (for the VIN digit used.) The CUCV's have the J-code; I don't know what the difference is -- emissions, maybe?

The one thing I'd be nervous about is the early 700R4's, which are known to be weak; later units, or early ones that have been rebuilt properly, are alleged to be fine. I only have TH350's and 400's so I can't speak to 700's from personal experience. I'd be shooting for as late a model truck as you can, as it's most likely to be in nice shape and have a decent tranny.

Other than that, the Blazers didn't change much in those years (diesels didn't, obviously gassers got EFI in '87) ... and I am not aware of the 6.2 changing any. I don't believe the 6.5 was ever available in this body style as it came in the early or mid-90's.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Oh, both sizes of fuel tanks are available; my CUCV has the 24-ish gallon :angry1: ... so if you can, get the biggun (31ish gallon.) No reason to cut yourself short on range when you get decent fuel economy :D

-- A

3. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

Plenty of CUCV's are available. Keep an eye on steelsoldiers, govliquidation and e-bay. You can pick on up for a pretty decent price with a little persistance. Then again, you could do like I did and just stumble across one for next to nothing. :grin:

4. AudieMurphy

AudieMurphy Registered Member

Thanx for the updates so far!!
    Andrew

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

let's see...

87-91 for the revised TH700
    88.5-91 for 30-spline rear
    89.5-91 for 30-spline front
    82-91 for 6.2L diesel

6. AudieMurphy