Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L Diesel Bore and Stroke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by josephn, Nov 30, 2000.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know the bore and stroke of the 6.2L Diesel.

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

bore = 3.9789 to 3.9824 inches

stroke = this damn haynes manual dosen't have it! or I cannot find it! I have just about every other fact about these motors too............js

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Thanks.
    I Calculated it and with a 3.9789 inch bore and it came out to be about a 3.8 inch stroke.

Now I wonder if you could bore it to 4 inches and get a crankshaft with a 4 inch stroke plus the right size connecting rods & pistions and still keep it diesel.
    402 Diesel that would be cool.
    Heh and just for s@#$s and giggles put a Whipple supercharger on it.

4. JimmyDie6.2

you could probably just get a 6.5l which is 397 cubes and bore it over. I would rather spend the money on a good set of 6.5l heads for the 6.2l and put a blower on it.......js

5. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between 6.2L heads and 6.5L heads?
    The compression ratio?

6. JimmyDie6.2

I'm not an expert at all, I was told by diesel "guys" that the 6.5l heads flow a lot better even in stock form, because they were built with the blower in mind...js

7. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I would like to see what can be done with my 6.2 as far as overboreing it and stroking it.
    However I like the idea of the 6.5 heads.
    Do you know if they just bolt on?
    And does the exhaust manifold bolt on too?
    Do you know the stroke or bore of a 6.5?

8. JimmyDie6.2

the heads need to be bolted on with the intake and possibly the exhaust.
    Bore = 4.057 to 4.058 inches =6.5l

personally, I wouldn't waste money on a diesel. I think your better off with a healthy 454 for the money. I personally hate how slow they move vehicles. And as for pulling power, I pulled a 24 foot mack (you know one of those big ones) with a 3/4 ton suburban with a ,4:10, 1 ton rear, 400 trans and a little old 350. It pulled the Mack fine. (I didn't go over 20 mph)........js

9. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Dang thats one big mack. :)
    Do you by chance know if you get any better preformance with just the 6.5 heads?
    I Have been thinking about doing the 454 thing but if I do I will have my diesel to tinker with and just want to know what can and can't be done. It's my hobby. :)

10. JimmyDie6.2

supposedly, factually, you get more power from a 6.5L head. a 6.2l rebuild in stock form, with the long block only, no pan or intake, or injection pump. Only block, heads, crank, rods, cam,etc. is $2200 at pep boys, I think they are good for 18 wheelers but not a k5, also , if we get a bad winter do you want to pay 3, 4, or even 5 dollars a gallon for diesel??? Its 2.20 were I am right now......js

11. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

$5/GAL?!?!?!?!? Where is ya getting these nubmers at?!?! Diesel can't be that expensive!!! I am paying right now $1.57/gal in Champaign, IL.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

12. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I am paying $1.82 right now and I live in Utah.

13. JimmyDie6.2

$5 dollars a gallon was on the upper range of the prices I listed, (if you noticed), and yes paying that much for diesel is not out of the question here in the Northeast. We pay 2.20 a gallon everyday here, and winter didn't start yet. Because of the inability of the refineries to increase production of home heating fuel, (because they are already at 97% of manufacturing capacity), our refineries are going to decrease diesel production and increase home heating oil production. That in concert with a brutal winter, (which is a distinct possibilty here in the northeast), low supply, high demand, and the unwillingness of OPEC to increase crude oil production, along with president BJs obvious inability to do anthing positive on the matter spells increased prices. How high will they go??? I'll tell you in the spring. But is 5 bucks a gallon out of the question, not at all.............js

14. OFFRDK5

I sure hope it don't get that high. If it gets that high though I have a feeling some truckers are going to be having some talks with the govt. like roadblocks....We could do like they did in France!! Get em all together and block em. Theres enough "big trucks" to make a rather interesting scene!!

SK-15

15. JimmyDie6.2

the economy is already taking a beating, ie the stock market. I do financing all day, I can tell you that the conduits (the places that lend money for certain projects), are drying up, mortgage banks are tightening their lending criteria. Did you know that the home mortgage market is off 47% of what it closed last year! What is next is the inability of the mortgage holder to pay his monthly bill. Then the foreclosures start. Its more intricate than this one paragraph, but in my humble opinion this supposed soft landing by the FED is going into a stall. If we don't pull out of it quick, we're in for serious economic consequences........energy costs will be an ancillary nuisance when people start getting laid-off in vast numbers.........js

16. JimmyDie6.2

the economy is already taking a beating, ie the stock market. I do financing all day, I can tell you that the conduits (the places that lend money for certain projects), are drying up, mortgage banks are tightening their lending criteria. Did you know that the home mortgage market is off 47% of what it closed last year! What is next is the inability of the mortgage holder to pay his monthly bill. Then the foreclosures start. Its more intricate than this one paragraph, but in my humble opinion this supposed soft landing by the FED is going into a stall. If we don't pull out of it quick, we're in for serious economic consequences........energy costs will be an ancillary nuisance when people start getting laid-off in vast numbers. have you checked your 401k lately??........js

17. OFFRDK5

I know my mutual funds look like someone shot em and then shot em again a few hundred times!! I ain't removing them. I am going to stick it out. Its got to go back up sometime.

SK-15

18. JimmyDie6.2

In my humble opinion, I would definately wait out this down turn in the market. In fact I think there are good buying opportunities. GE for instance...............js

19. OFFRDK5

Only if I had some money...I can barely make rent this month. Don't know why I can't. I make OK money and I paid all my bills and actually worked a bunch of overtime!! Where did all this money go!?! (Hears a loud sucking noise outside in the parking lot)

SK-15

20. JimmyDie6.2

I know what you mean by money and bills and where did it all go, I work on commission so I always have to keep ahead of that sucking sound!..........js