Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L Diesel starter sticking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kennyw, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Trying to get a starter to quit sticking when you release the key. Put a new solenoid on it (old one had a cracked cap). That didn't do it.

Put in a new ignition switch, that didn't do it (but old one looked burnt anyway).

Added another shim... no luck yet.

Bench testing it the bendix returns freely but in the truck it always stays running until the battery cable is pulled. Hook the cable up within 2 seconds of disconnecting and it no longer is engaged.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

spring....

Did you put the big spring in between the "piston" and the solenoid??--is it weak or broken??---if not,the only other things I can think of are the "fork" that moves the starter drive into mesh with the flywheel is binding or bent,or its pivot pin is worn badly and its sloppy...or the spiral splines the starter drive rides on is all gummy with oil or dirt..it could be its too tight and needs more shims too,or maybe the teeth on the drive or flexplate are boogered enough to make them not want to disengage.. bad bushings can cause problems too...does it sound good when cranking???.. :confused: :crazy:

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Kenny and i were working on this. The starter sounds fine, bench tests fine. We finally got the truck running, and as soon as the truck fires, it kicks the starter off. If the truck won't fire, the starter won't stop. I'm gonna try some more shims and see if that will work. The flexplate looks fine, starter looks good, and its got a brand new solenoid and spring on it. DUnno