Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L Diesel starter sticking

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by kennyw, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Trying to get a starter to quit sticking when you release the key. Put a new solenoid on it (old one had a cracked cap). That didn't do it.

Put in a new ignition switch, that didn't do it (but old one looked burnt anyway).

Added another shim... no luck yet.

Bench testing it the bendix returns freely but in the truck it always stays running until the battery cable is pulled. Hook the cable up within 2 seconds of disconnecting and it no longer is engaged.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Had that problem before and it was the rotor, cleaned up all the slots on the rotor and it worked fine after that, shavings get in between the brass plates and get the circuit going till you kill the source.
    At least it worked for me, I had done all the hings you did and then that cured it.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

I've been slacking reading this forum. Anyway, I had the same problem from a fairly new reman Autozone starter. What starter is it?

Iceman- good info, thanks!

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It was a stock starter as far as I could tell... if he has any more problems with it I told him to just buy the newer style gear reduction starter off of ebay for $99 instead of getting a rebuilt one from the local store.