Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L from Humvee = work okay in Blazer

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, Oct 15, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just curious, would it take anything special to install a 6.2 setup for a Humvee into a civilian Blazer (already with the 6.2)?? I know the military has some 24V accessories but could you just swap in the necessary 12V stuff?

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Yes, swap the glow plugs (don't use the resistors)/starter and use all the origional blazer stuff and you should be ok. Check the solonoids on the imjection pump also, i can't remember if they were also 24v or not.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, alot of HMMWVs are running around with CUCV motors. No reason you couldn't go the other direction /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Glow plugs are different (forget about ballast resistors = CUCV exclusive) starter must be civilian 12V, fuel solenoid, HPCA (high pressure cold advance) and it's temperature switch. The coolant crossover needs a plug for the HMMWV "controller". You'll have to add the vacume pump if your K5 used one. Routing the TV cable could prove interesting using the HMMWV intake. The fuel delivery pump needs to be swapped (outlet points at the Xmember). I heard you can use the HMMWV headers, but I have to see it for myself. Also the HMMWV fan clutch uses power steering fluid pressure to actuate it. HMMWVs came thru with shorty (van) style injectors, although some may have swapped to the standard height versions; nothing to worry about just be aware of what you got. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The main reason I was asking is that you can find complete Humvee engines at military auctions for cheap.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, alot of HMMWVs are running around with CUCV motors. No reason you couldn't go the other direction /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Glow plugs are different (forget about ballast resistors = CUCV exclusive) starter must be civilian 12V, fuel solenoid, HPCA (high pressure cold advance) and it's temperature switch. The coolant crossover needs a plug for the HMMWV "controller". You'll have to add the vacume pump if your K5 used one. Routing the TV cable could prove interesting using the HMMWV intake. The fuel delivery pump needs to be swapped (outlet points at the Xmember). I heard you can use the HMMWV headers, but I have to see it for myself. Also the HMMWV fan clutch uses power steering fluid pressure to actuate it. HMMWVs came thru with shorty (van) style injectors, although some may have swapped to the standard height versions; nothing to worry about just be aware of what you got. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, then that means that that engine I got from that 1ton truck will need the injectors swapped to go in my van?
    Is it a clearance issue?
    I know the van has a tight engine bay on top and I heard that the turbo 6.5 on a van had the turbo in the back instead of on top or side?

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I don't know. I've never seen the under hood of a 6.2 van. The HMMWVs seem to clear with either short or long injectors. We worked on a turbo diesel 6.5 (forget the nomenclature XM10??) from Natick Labs that has spent it's entire life idling /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif(it's a commo carrier). It had the split intake manifold/rear mounted turbo. It was a Motha' Fo' getting the rearmost glowplugs out /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif