Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L minimum wiring courtesy of arveetek (maybe Diesel Dan will add input)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Feb 27, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

May 24, 2002
    I sent a PM to arveetek asking him what the bare essentials were for wiring on a 6.2 so that when I get the Toy ready, I would know. After reading his respone, I (with expressed permission /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif) figures that it wouldn't hurt to post it for others to see. So here it is: [ QUOTE ]
    The starter and alternator wiring is needed, and you need at least one wire going to the injection pump...this is the fuel cut-off solenoid. You want to send 12 volts positive from the ignition to this wire on top of the pump to keep the engine running...removing power shuts the engine off.

There is also another wire going to the pump that advances the timing when the enging is cold, but you don't really NEED that wire to get the engine started, but it does help. This wire runs off a temperature switch, or you could wire it up manually to a switch on the dash. Again, if you want the bare minimum, don't worry about this one. Same goes for the high idle solenoid and wire.

You have to have glow plugs in the heads in order to seal up the combustion chambers, so you might as well wire them up. Most 6.2L diesels won't start without them even on a 60 degree day anyway. Just wire up all the plugs together, and then mount a Ford style starter solenoid on the firewall. Put the plugs on one side of the solenoid, and battery power on the other. Then hook up a momentary switch inside the cab to engergize the solenoid. Hold the glow plugs on for about 10 seconds and then let go and start it.

So, here's the list of wires you MUST HAVE:

Fuel cut-off wire on injection pump

Wires that are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

Glow plugs

Wires that are nice, but not totally necessary:

High idle
    Cold timing advance

That's about it, I think!

[/ QUOTE ]
  2. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Jul 22, 2001
    Yep,that's about the same what I have /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Apr 6, 2003
    Found it I new this post was some ware.
  4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oct 2, 2000
    Yep, looking into this myself as the body is rusthing and got a Scorpion on the brain!!