Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbinOR, Jul 23, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Gas mileage you guys are getting - town driving and highway separate if possible.

Overall impressions of driving one compared to a gas 350.

Thanks for any other opinions on diesels in Burbs or Blazers.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

My blazer gets 16MPG, city or highway. I have 4.10 gears and I get the same mileage with my 31s and my 37s.

The 6.2 I have isn't as "peppy" as the '74 350 Burb I used to have. This might be apples and oranges, though, the burb was an 4-speed and my blazer is an auto. The Burb got about 10 MPG and sucked off-road compared to the diesel. The diesel runs better than the gasser did at higher altitudes and at greater angles. My 6.2 is stock, the 350 had an edelbrock intake and carb and I converted it to HEI but was otherwise stock.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Mine is knocking down around 22 mpg all the time. However, I feel that it is pretty sluggish. Of course, these two numbers are byproducts of what I believe to be 3.08 or 3.42 gears and 31's. Still can't argue with roughly 600 miles out of a tank of fuel! I guess I should qualify the 'sluggish', my last truck was a big block, 4 spd, 4.10's and 33's. So, sluggish to me compared to that rig.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I get 25 whereever I go! That's with 3:73 and a 700! IT runs awsome! have a tbi 350, takes way too much gas, but is a lot FASTER, but wouldn't say has more PEP! My Diesel will pull anyone I know out!!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

My 3/4 ton, 2WD, overdrive 700 tranny, 4.10 gears, 27" tires.....averages 19.5 mpg, around 12 mpg towing heavy loads.

My K-10 with no overdrive, 4 speed manual, 3.73 gears, 31" tires......averages 15 mpg.

The diesels aren't as quick as a 350, but have superior low-end torque. Great for off-roading, pulling loads. For what I use them for, they're superior to a gasser in every respect.

Casey

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Mine would probably do better if it were geared with 3.73's. It seems to be operating out of its powerband with the current gears. But I can cruise at 90!

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Swanson,
    I'm selling my 10 bolts with 3:73 for $200 for the set! If you're interested!!!
    By the way, Brake lines are going to work great! Might have to drill, but that's fine by me!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1986 K30, 6.2 N/A TH400, NP205, 30inch tires, 4:56 gears = 14.7 MPG average

9. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

6.2 with dual 3" exhaust/350 tranny/208 Trnfr/3.73/ 12.5-35-15 tires 25.7 mpg

Phillip TK5

10. Alex82

Alex82 Newbie

I had a 6.2 boared over into a 6.5 and I loved the hell out of the diesel. I could park it at radical angles and it never stopped running. I was stupid and put a 350 in and I cant tell you how much I miss the damn thing. Gas mileage was good, torque was great, and it mever broke down on me!
    -Alex

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well ive been thinking about looking for another truck with a diesel, i love the power, torq, and sound, and also being a highschool student, (16) more gas milage sounds real sweet to me, and its the best out of any engine that i would ever be drivng..(305, 350 or a 6.2) that way to..cause all i drive are these chevy trucks..

Bryan

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My Diesel gets poor GAS mileage...but it gets great DIESEL mileage.
    I was getting 25+ mpg...now that I am 3/4 ton I haven't measured it, but it couldn't have dropped too much!!!

13. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Don't know what I get around town, I just know I can go about two weeks before I have to refill.

Best I ever got on the highway as 27mpg, between Colorado and Indiana.

What I like about my truck with the diesel is I've driven 90 miles to go off-roading (left with a full tank), drove around in 4Lo for about four hours, then drove back home, and still had about 2/3 of a tank of fuel. THAT is fuel efficient! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

'82 Suburban 6.2L 3/4 ton 4x4 33"s 4.10 gears averaging 20 mpg (even towing 20 mpg), when I had the 35's on there still got 20mpg.

Comparing to my '79 Blazer 400sb 3/4 ton 4.10 gears 35's I averaged about 8 mpg on a good day (not hotrodding just grandma driving) and 5 mpg on a wheeling day.

I would deal with the bad mpg just to have the power back and the way fewer problems that my 6.2 has given me. The 'burban is gonna get a 350 very very soon /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

WHat kind of problems have you had with your 6.2? How strict have you been with maintenance? I rarely hear people complain about the reliability of a 6.2 and when I do it can usually be traced back to poor upkeep. I'm not trying to slam you, BTW........ /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I have only had my 'burban 18 months and it has 106K on it, but I do know the guy who had it before me (the original owner I may add) was horrible with maitenence. The continuous problems I have been having is that the starter on occassion has come unbolted and fallen out, the alternator bolts have backed out and gotten into the fan resulting in attempting to find a fan for and having to make our own from a powerstroke fan, the torque convertor and pump bolts coming loose, the glow plugs are now at the point they aren't hardly working and it is getting very hard to start, belts are always sqawking and coming loose, and smoking and leaking lots and lots of oil (average oil consumption 3 to 4 quarts a month with very little driving). This is our first diesel and I do love the mpg but as far as power not too impressed but it has been for the most part pretty reliable, when I eventually get it started and warmed up it will start and run everytime during that day. I just know gas motors way better and want to stick to what I know.

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's strange how most of your problems seem to be loose bolts. It's almost like the PO did lots of monkeying around and didn't torque stuff properly. Leaks will happen on any motor if you don't clean gasket faces properly, too. Other than the glow plugs(which are cake to change and probably need to be replaced after 106k), it doesn't sound like any of your problems are DIRECTLY the result of your motor being diesel.

Anyways, don't be too quick to get rid of your 6.2. It sounds like you know your way around engines, and maybe all that is required to "clean" up your diesel is to spend a weekend under the hood. While you're there replace your air filter and fuel filters.

Good Luck, brother!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

I get around 21mpg but im running with 4.56's and TH400 3spd