Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L towing very large load!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arveetek, Dec 18, 2002.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well not to start a war here but last winter I saw a Dodge 3500 dually with all the banks goodies, towing a goose neck 3 axle trailer, with "4" CJ jeeps on one ton axles and 40"tires.
    It seemed to be doing OK but I don't want to think how it was handling.
    He had it in the Grass Valley fairgrounds parking and getting out was not easy.
    I think this thing was a little more than 40' long.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Kewl picture Casey!!

I guess my 21 foot trailer will be no problem for my Jimmy then.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Nice looking truck the color scheme makes it look timeless. The only older chevy/gm trucks i see around here seem to be rust colored, or navy blue with after market rust coloring.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I don't doubt that the Dodge/Cummins will pull more than mine. It's much newer technology designed for power, whereas the 6.2L was mostly designed for economy. I just like to show people that it can pull some!

Casey

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

What kind of trailer do you have? I own a 29' Alpenlite fifth-wheel that I have towed to Florida, and to Dayton, Ohio, as well as other local camping trips. I think it does very well. I haven't weighed my trailer, but the sticker says 8500 lbs GVWR.

Proper gears makes a lot of difference when towing. How is your Jimmy going to be set up? My 4.10's and 27" tires are ideal for towing.

You should have enough power, but with your short wheelbase, make sure you have a proper hitch setup, ideally with load-equalizing bars. This will make for a great towing experience.

Casey

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot!

You can see some other pics, including before and after, in my "Chevy Pics" link below.

Casey

8. tRustyK5

We have a 21 foot Coachman Cadet...it's old and pretty heavy. I'd guess it comes in at a tick over 5000 lbs with our stuff. I've towed it to San diego and back as well as several shorter trips when I had the 350, 3.73's and 35's. I use the weight distributing hitch with 500 lb bars and it is pretty stable and easy to tow despite the short wheelbase.

I think with the 36" tires, the SM 465 and 4.56's it'll tow a house if I hooked up to it./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The big question is I now have the much softer 57" F-150 springs in the rear. I may need some sort of adjustable shock or air shock now...

Rene

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I think the 6.2L will tow anything a 350 will, and get much better fuel milage to boot. Mine will average 13 mpg while towing. Not too shabby!

Sounds like your setup will work great. I have Firestone air springs on the back of mine. I have an on-board air compressor with a guage on the dash, so all I have to do is push a button and add some air to the rear. This helps level the truck when under a load. However, I don't really care for the ride. When I have enough air added to the rear to make it look somewhat level under heavy loads, the rear gets bouncy, and doesn't tow well. I think one of these days I'll add some overload springs to the setup.

Casey

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That's cool! I thought the 6.2 was a dog, but that 40' is a hell of a trailer. What do you think your GVWR was? You've got some balls man. Too cool!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And rusty, is yours a 21' carhauler? How do you like the extra length over the 18'ers? I"m thinking about building one for me in my garage with a 110 welder...I dont want any crap, i can weld haha...but I've been thinking about 21 or 22 foot...just thinin aloud.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. tRustyK5

I wish I had a 21 foot car hauler...it's a camper trailer/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd weld a car trailer with my 110 MIG...it would just take a while longer. I welded my steering box frame repair kit with my little MIG. It worked out good.

Rene

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What I really want is a gooseneck. Maybe I should buy a crackerbox Stick and do it with that. Or just wait for a good deal on a used one! I'm hoping and crossing my fingers for a 110 mig for christmas so I can continue the blazer oddesey in yankee country!

13. tRustyK5

Most 110 volt MIG's are good to 3/16" and there isn't much if anything that needs to be that thick on a car hauler...

Stick is a nice addition to having a 110 volt MIG though.

So I take it you accepted the job and will soon be known as an "Involuntarily Displaced Good Ol Boy"??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas..." /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

14. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I would estimate the combined weight of truck and trailer at 20,000 lbs or so. Like I said, I was able to reach highway speeds, but stopping was a whole different matter!

When I moved the trailer again for the customer, I borrowed my dad's F350 psd....it handled the load much safer.

Casey

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yes I cruise to Illinois January 10th. Hoping we can afford to rent a house with a garage to work on my junk. It's gonna get really cold which means extended garage time for me...

Yeah I know, I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than a Safety Engineer in Illinois. But it's a means to an end to me. The jobs are here, I just need some experience first. 2 or 3 years up there and I'm gonna be ranging back thisaway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. tRustyK5

I think that job is the right move for you guys...good experience you can use on your resume later./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The fencepost in Texas was just a reference to a sig line you used to have.../forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe you'll be welding a roof back on Cap'n Insano now/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rene