Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2L trouble Why Me????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawk368, Oct 19, 2004.

1. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

Does anyone in the Wa.& Or. area have a good 6.2L they're willing to sell. Cheap!!!!
    Mine took a dump. Sounds like rod's but theres a bad metal grinding sound with it. HELP!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Is it an auto or manual? If its an auto that sounds like a messed up flexplate to me. Easy to replace and doesnt require a new motor. If it is a rod bearing, pull the pan and go to your local NAPA, rod bearings are $7.00 per rod.

3. hawk368

It's automatic. But I don't think its the flex plate. Turns over fine , no noise exept a little bit of a knock. Then when it fires, it sounds like a couple of rods,along with a grinding noise.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

how old are the glow plugs?? does it fire right up or take a while? could be a busted glow plug....alos check the injectors too...I know when they go out it get kinda loud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

grinding noise-maybe starter isn't disengaging, try another starter before giving up on motor /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. hawk368

Fires right up now that I charged the batteries up. And bled the injecter lines. It does have a bypass glow plug button. I just got the truck a couple days ago. When it first fired it was worse. I don't have a compression tester for deisel or I would have checked that . The guy I got it from said when it died on him , that he was going down the road , and it started making a bad knocking and then just stopped running while he was still moving.

7. hawk368

Already checked the starter. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. smprider112

id still consider it to be possibly injectors...I have heard when they go south they knock pretty bad! maybe pull em out and inspect them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe you'll luck out and find a glow plug has broken off,or the injectors ,or flexplate, as already stated.You might have a broken crankshaft,it seems to be a common failure on the 6.2's mostly due to a bad harmonic balancer--hope thats not the case.
    I almost bought an 82 K10 with a 6.2 and a 4 speed,NP208 case from a local junkyard for parts for mine--but when I returned a few days later with the 500 bucks they wanted for it(I was hoping to haggle it for less)but I was too late--it was about 2 ft.high,with about 6 other cars on top of it--dam that crusher! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

10. hawk368

You might have a broken crankshaft,it seems to be a common failure on the 6.2's mostly due to a bad harmonic balancer--hope thats not the case.

it was about 2 ft.high,with about 6 other cars on top of it--dam that crusher!

I know how you feel.

As for the crank,I don't think it's broke. At least if it is the whole things turning.
    But now it really has me /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I didn't have any trouble getting it to fire yesterday.Now it won't fire at all,didn't even hit on any cylinder. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

while where on the subject I have'nt really looked at mine real close but can you remove the injectors from the injector pump because there are no injectors on mine on the end to the block and I thought the injecter pump was all made together . just wandering I have'nt had to mess with the pump yet.im learning desiels as i go. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. diesel4me

The injectors screw into the head,much like spark plugs do on a gas engine-and the lines on them go to the injector pump,they go under the intake manifold and connect to the rear of the injector pump.I havent had to touch my injector pump,and hope I never have too--it will cost more than I paid for the truck I'm sure!.Even the injector lines are big bucks and hard to get,and mine are kinda rusty.Diesels save you lots of money on fuel and tune ups,but when the "big three" give you trouble,its usually expensive.The "big three"is the 1.injection pump,2.starter 3.head gaskets or other internal engine work--maybe the radiator too,they are very expensive new. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rebuilt pump and injectors I got for $347 shipped to my door. Accuratediesel.com

Rene

14. diesel4me

Not a bad deal--thats 3 bucks less than I paid for the truck last year! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif But I have spent more than that just to make it roadable,and I still have a lot to do before I'd trust it too far from home--been procrastinating on fixing the tranny lines and other stuff (havent even checked the fluid in the transfer case!)--since I got sidetracked swapping the V8 in my 79 C10,and all the work I wanted to do on the diesel got pushed back--so far,all I've gotten done is make and install new door bottoms,the lower 6 inches were missing--got them in primer,and the cab corners are metal again,but I didnt even get to finish them with bondo,now its getting too cold already for bodywork--looks like it will be going through the winter without the added protection of paint--I'm going to wash this truck a lot--I watched my other K20 dissolve pretty quick,because I was too lazy and cheap to wash it often--learned that lesson the hard way!. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. hawk368

Profile say's your in Beaverton. Any chance you know some one with a 6.2 for sale cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. smprider112

cheapest I've found was a U-pull it had one for 800 bucks, running....thats not TOO bad...just more then I was willing to pay for one Im just gonna rebuild and turbo to drop into my truck when im financially ready /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif