Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.2's, i love em', but....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, May 24, 2006.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Ahhhhhh, just came in from the garage for the night, thought i'de fill you guys in on my recent quest inside my 6.2. Well it started about 3 weeks ago, finally got my truck running after wrecking the front end on a tree in december:doah: . Drive it down the street to my boss's house for it's maiden voyage, rev it a couple times, and "pop" water is shooting out pretty bad from under the head:doah: . drive it home, park it back in the garage. i figure its a blown head gasket caused by my rotted out pas. motor mount :doah: (exhuast man. bolt touching frame....eng. twist.....bolt to frame = seperated head), so to remove the head i have to replace the motor mount, not as easy as it sounded, but we finally got it after 3 hours,then tear down the whole engine, remove head (way heavier than it looks, bout' pooped myself:rolleyes: ). gasket is in pretty bad shape, replace gasket. Finished reassembly tonight, get everything plugged back together, start filling radiator w/ some wawa and it comes pouring out again outside the block again:doah: . so This only leaves one thing..... the damn freeze plugs:mad: . the freeze plug behind the damn engine mount plate popped loose. This makes sense because when i wrecked the truck i had to replace the water pump, radiator, every thing coolant was changed and finally sealed properly. So for the first time in a long time i had a good pressurized cooling system. well the one of those freeze plugs didn't like how i was running the show now and took a hike. SHORT STORY LONG...... HAS ANYBODY EVER HAD A FREEZE PLUG POP OUT ON THEM WHILE THE TRUCK WAS IN PERFECTLY GOOD RUNNING CONDITION???:confused:

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Pop no
    Rust out and start pissing yes.
    No fun I know.
    :mad:

3. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

tore it down again tonight, patched er' up with a "temp" plug. runs like a champ, tonight was the first time i've driven my truck in 5months, and i drove it for one day because before that it had been broken for 3 months!! So now i'm stoked.

This
    [​IMG]

To This
    [​IMG]

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Nice! Enjoy! with i could get my to stay up.....:(

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had a freeze plug pop out of one of my 350s once. Suddenly the engine got louder, and started overheating on me, killed the engine and found that there was coolant all over the driveway. Fortunately, I was at home when it happened :)