6.5 diesel info needed

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by motobub, Feb 12, 2003.

1. motobub

motobub Newbie

Feb 12, 2003
    I'm looking at a truck, 92 GMC 2500 with a 6.5 and auto trans. I don't know anything about these engines, and need some help. The truck has 150k miles. Hiw long are these engines good for? Are they any good? And what should I look out for? What MPG should it get? And I also have a question about the sterio system. It has a wierd looking radio above the ac and heater controlls. Then it has a narrow tape player next to it. They all look stock. Is there any way to pt a CD player in? Is it more expensive?
    Any help will be greatly appriciated,
  2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Feb 27, 2002
    The '92-93 should(are) be the least troublesome of the 6.5s because they use mechanical pumps instead of the electric pump. Only computer is for the trans.

If possible have a compression check done. Pull off the air inlet to the turbo and look for signs of dirt from the air cleaner not being installed properly. Should be no signs of dirt after the air cleaner to the turbo. You will get better fuel mileage than any gasser would.

150K, most likely could use a new set of injectors. Recommend EGT/boost gauges. Some minor mods and it will run much better than stock. Guess it comes down to the price and a gamble. Used car=no promises.