Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5 into my '92 Dually 1 ton with a 454?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Sandman, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

6.5 into my \'92 Dually 1 ton with a 454?

My motor is still running strong but real bad on mileage. I have the 4500 manual tranny with 3.73's so I think the drivetrian should be OK. Are they bolt in? Do I need to change out a harness? Anybody done this? Thanks.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Re: 6.5 into my \'92 Dually 1 ton with a 454?

Sounds like we need to talk. I'm tired of the lack of towing power and don't drive it enough to take advantage of the not so great mileage from my 6.5. I have thought about swapping to a Vortec 454, but I already have one project. Don't need two. BTW, I hear other people getting good mileage out of the 6.5. I have a best tank of 16, averages 14 empty (city and hwy.) and towing nets a crazy 7-10 depending on load and speed. Better than a bigblock, but I was hoping for more when I bought it. Towing the Blazer gets me 8.5-9 and 35-45 mph over the mountains here in CO. Jeffs Duramax passes me on the mountains hauling two of our trucks, although I am proud to say I passed Toby (moneypit) once driving his Blazer solo on a long climb.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Wow, that doesnt sound good at all. I can pull the passes here at 55 with the Blazer on the back. I average 11 to 12 in town and maybe 13 on the freeway unloaded. Towing the Blazer is like 7.

I could change the gears to 4:11's and change out the exaust to a dual and no cats but then you start getting into the area of "is it worth the cost"?

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Well don't make your decision based on my truck. I constantly check my mileage hoping I will find a way to increase fuel mileage. The best tank I had towing the Blazer was 11 through the midwest when I first got the truck.I have heard of guys getting better mileage. Also I admit I do drive fast. That hurts a diesel fuel mileage. I have done a few things to improve power (and supposedly mileage). I have an ATS 3" exhaust, K&N filter, and an intercooler. I want to have the computer reprogrammed, but that costs about $500.00 (not sure if its worth it). In my opinion, I think it would take you a long time in fuel savings to pay off.