Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5" lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Jan 14, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

6.5\" lift?

So, I have 4" lift springs front and rear. I want to change it and put the ORD 2.5" shackle flip, and put 6" springs in the front in place of the 4" ones in there right now. If I were to do this, would my blazer sit more level? Will 35" tires work/look good, or should I go to a 36? Also if 35's rub on the fenders, will the ORD 1" body lift kit take care of that?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 6.5\" lift?

If you're worried about fender rubbing and you refuse to cut your fenders, never go bigger than 35s and make sure you use the right wheels. Unfortunately, the stock fenders only have so much room, and a lot of times, there's no way to make them fit without serious lift or cutting.

I went the big tires and cutting route, some prefer smaller tires and no cutting, but bigger tires and no cutting is going to result in cut up tires, smashed up fenders, or both.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you go to a 35-36" aggressive tire you will destroy the 10bolts under that truck if you "wheel" it much. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A narrow 35" should fit fine with 6" of lift.If you get into a wider 35 and deeper rims with less offset...you will need closer to 8 to 10" of lift to clear withought cutting like mine.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i agree.those half ton axles will never hold up with bigger,more agressive tires.if i were him i would at least upgrade to a 3/4 front re-geared,and of coarse,a 14 bolt in the rear,before adding anymore to the suspention.its a small price to pay for sound running gear.then,mabey run more suspention stuff.hp /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. rjfguitar

yep

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks gents, what about the sagging in the rear part? I don't mind cutting, I'll go that route. I thought the 10 bolt front's were pretty strong. I know the 10 bolt rears are week. I was hoping to get a 14BSF for the rear. That's ok for 35's right?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just get a 14 FF for the rear. Yes an SF will hold up to 35-37" tires fine, but I would just suggest you go all the way. Having a full floating axle at both ends assures you that a tire will never pass you while you're going down the road.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks gents, what about the sagging in the rear part? I don't mind cutting, I'll go that route. I thought the 10 bolt front's were pretty strong. I know the 10 bolt rears are week. I was hoping to get a 14BSF for the rear. That's ok for 35's right?

[/ QUOTE ]
    front 10b are ok but only good enough for a non agressive 35-36" tire and smaller. I will admit that I haven't had any probs with my front 10B with 35x16 boggers bolted to it but it still bothers me and I know if I did any hardcore trails or rock crawling it wouldn't last.

Do a search for a thread called "14BFF in my 87', will it fit?" It will have all the info you need. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think you could break a 10 bolt front that was open with 35s unless you really tried. I know that I really tried and I still didn't. 38.5s sure did a good job on it though, twice this year and I've only got to go out four times.

10. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Good info. Talking me into it. I like the way that the ORD crossover steering kit bolts right up to the Dana 60 front without any guessing or hunting. So, d60 front with crossover steering and an eaton posi along with a 14Bff rear with a detroit plus 4:88 gears. That way I can run the bigger tires. 38's with 15" wheels would be killer. So, that combo would probably require what for a lift? 8" or will 6" work with fender trimming?

11. rjfguitar

For 38's I would go with the 8" BDS lift and minor fender trimming. Why do you wan't 15's? You would be buying new wheels and tires anyway so why not go with a 16? Less grinding and still a safety bead.

As for your thoughts about going 1 ton...now your learning, 10bolts F&R aren't the answer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif