Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5 supercharged marine diesel info (links)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Steve_87K5, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pretty cool, wonder how spendy they are? The Tigershark looks like it makes 425+ hp and 775 tq /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Rene

3. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's 775 N-m, which comes out to be about 570 lb-ft. Still very respectable though.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My mistake...still very cool!

Rene

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That supercharger reminds me of the old 2 cycle detroit diesels with a roots style blower. We still have a couple of those old detroit blowers laying around. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Any Reasons to be running a supercharger rather than a turbo?

7. AgDieseler

None that are practical. Belt driven forced induction places a huge parasitic load on the engine, so while the blower adds (abritrary numbers generated) 150 hp, it sucks back 50 hp for a net gain of 100 hp. Basically, you're adding the stress of 150 hp to your engine for a 100 hp gain. Also, blower pulleys are sized for max air flow at max rpm. Turbos can put out their max air flow much lower in the operating power band.

Superchargers, while a neat invention, are yesterday's news for four stroke diesels. Turbos, now we're talking.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Any Reasons to be running a supercharger rather than a turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]IIRC, on the old 2 stroke diesels like what I mentioned they had to have a blower to force air in because they won't naturally draw in enough air. IIRC.

9. AgDieseler

Yeah, two stroke diesels, like all diesels, will burn all the air they can get. Two strokes need specific help "blowing down." At the end of the powerstroke, the piston isn't in a position to push out all the exhaust gases like in a four stroke. The blower blows them out before the valve shuts on the intake stroke. Thus, a blower is an integral part to the performance of a two stroke diesel.

Older Detroit 6v-71s like rjfguitar mentioned had a roots style blower, and a big turbo. I've driven some of them in passenger busses, and they run pretty sweet. There's a healthy bit of black smoke just off idle, but that's typical for a two stroke diesel.

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, two stroke diesels, like all diesels, will burn all the air they can get. Two strokes need specific help "blowing down." At the end of the powerstroke, the piston isn't in a position to push out all the exhaust gases like in a four stroke. The blower blows them out before the valve shuts on the intake stroke. Thus, a blower is an integral part to the performance of a two stroke diesel.

Older Detroit 6v-71s like rjfguitar mentioned had a roots style blower, and a big turbo. I've driven some of them in passenger busses, and they run pretty sweet. There's a healthy bit of black smoke just off idle, but that's typical for a two stroke diesel.

[/ QUOTE ]I remember them when I was a kid when my dad still have a couple early 70's freightliners around. He had 6v91's, 8v71's and 8v92's. they were hot motors and smoked a LOT. THey could rev very fast too.

11. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Ummmmmm, that last supercharged 6.2 is a blown 383 stroker, not a diesel. Merc just calls them by there litres of displacement, not there cubic inches /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Right. It's a 383 gasser. The 3rd link was posted just to show a photo of the Whipple SC for reference.

But are the superchargers on the 6.2 diesels from the Sweedish co. also using Whipples? I know Whipple makes a SC kit for the 6.5 Would be interesting if the Sweeds came up with their own SC for the marine 6.5.