Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5 TD ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Jan 9, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

6.5 TD ?\'s

Are they any good? Any known problems with them? We are looking into buying a Burb for a tow rig and I'm not sure if I want the bigblock or the 6.5. Looking around somewhere between a 98 and 2000 3/4 ton Burb. Any info is greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Re: 6.5 TD ?\'s

hmm here is our 99 3/4 ton , 454 powered sub, ya its forsale, and "Lots of new parts"

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Suburban C2500 5.7 V–8 7.5k tow rating(c,e,f,h)
    Suburban C2500 6.5 TD* 8k tow rating(c,f,h)
    Suburban C/K2500 7.4 V–8 10k tow rating(c,e)

* TD means turbodiesel.
    (a) Requires 3.42:1 axle ratio. (b) Requires 3.73:1 axle ratio. (c) Requires 4.10:1 axle ratio. (d) Requires 4.56:1 axle ratio. (e) Requires heavy–duty cooling equipment. (f) Requires special trailer–towing equipment. (g) Automatic transmission may be required. See dealer for details. (h) Tow rating for 4WD version is lower. (i) Requires optional trailer–towing package. (j) Crew cab has a 500–pound lower rating.

5. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

92 to 94 has turbo and mech injection. power increases the later the year. not too smart when it comes to diesels, but know that do it yourselfers prefer mech. just some random thought process shot through my brain when i read this thread. anyways, goodluck finding your sub. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    CHEVYs rule, but GMCs are better
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

93 was the last year for Mechanical fuel injection. No diesel suburbans were made in 92 or 93. 94 was electronic fuel injection and was the first 6.5TD suburban. 91 was the last year of the 6.2 diesel suburban.

6.5TD's tow pretty good. It all depends on how much you haul and how fast you want to haul it and what fuel economy you want when you are hauling it. A stock 454 TBI and a stock 6.5TD pull pretty much the same, but the 6.5TD gets about double the Miles per gallon. YMMV /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

99 was the last year of the 6.5TD suburban. It has an upgraded cooling system and 4l80E transmission. No diesel suburbans have been produced since 99. The best substitute is the Ford Excursion with the Powerstroke 7.3. (Don't buy a new 6.0)

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    93 was the last year for Mechanical fuel injection. No diesel suburbans were made in 92 or 93. 94 was electronic fuel injection and was the first 6.5TD suburban. 91 was the last year of the 6.2 diesel suburban.

6.5TD's tow pretty good. It all depends on how much you haul and how fast you want to haul it and what fuel economy you want when you are hauling it. A stock 454 TBI and a stock 6.5TD pull pretty much the same, but the 6.5TD gets about double the Miles per gallon. YMMV /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

99 was the last year of the 6.5TD suburban. It has an upgraded cooling system and 4l80E transmission. No diesel suburbans have been produced since 99. The best substitute is the Ford Excursion with the Powerstroke 7.3. (Don't buy a new 6.0)

[/ QUOTE ]

Rumor has it there will be a Dmax/Allison Burb out soon.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have heard 6.5's are prone to snapping cranks.

I'm looking at getting a 6.2 Burb for Dd duties. Found a wrecked one with a good engine insanely cheap. Started parting so tranny missing. Need a clip. I know of a truck I might be able to get for few hundered with most of the parts I would need.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Back in '95 or '96 I went and test drove a new 6.5 TD Suburban in Houston. I went less than a mile before I turned around and went back. I was so underwhelmed with the acceleration that I couldn't stand it. Very disappointing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I really think that GM is missing out on a lot of sales by not making the Duramax/Allison combo available in a Sub. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    hmm here is our 99 3/4 ton , 454 powered sub, ya its forsale, and "Lots of new parts"

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    And the fine print reads: Frame and front suspension parts bent. Can't properly align front end. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well, we went hunting yesterday. Oh what fun looking at vehicles in 13 degree weather. We could only find one 3/4 ton Burb for sale in this area and it was brand new. All but 45k for it. I'm not planning to buy it but I do want to go test drive it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Hell before I spend that kind of money on a Burb I would go buy a H2 and tow with it.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

For that price, get a Crew 2500HD and add a camper shell. Plenty of room for the family and WAY more capable than any Sub is going to be... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif