Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5 TD vs. 7.4 for tow rig

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by zcarczar, May 31, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

im looking at getting a new DD/tow rig soon, probably a mid 90's chevy 2500 extended cab 5-spd, I have to get a chevy so I dont want to hear about he fords or the dodges because it wont add anythign to the discussion, but what i want to know is which will tow better, I know the big block has a ton of torque but will it be enough to tow a blazer? The truck I want to get will have a 5-spd, but I dont know what engine to get, I do know that the 6.5 will last longer and definately get better mileage than the big block which will be important because i will be driving a lot with htis truck.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Mid 90's big block, Wonder if the after 96+ got a vortec big block?

I dont think any of the choices will have problems towing a k5. Big block will give you some sticker shock at the pump though. The cost of fuel may become your deciding factor. the diesel might get you 16-22mpg unloaded, the big block might get you reasonably, 12-15 unloaded. I've not heard of anyone get more than 14mpg unloaded highway driving.

with the 6.5TD, your best years are 92->94, and 97+

after 94, its still a good motor, just look up those issues with the electronic injector and some sorta cooler for that injector. Other than, that, good choices.

95+ had the new interior design. in my opinion, the most roomy of the 88+ designs. The 88-94's were ok, the 95->98? had the roomiest dash area (in my opinion). When they switched it in 99 or 2000, the dash seemed to have eaten up even more space, than any of the previous years.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would get the 6.5. The 454 will pull better but a K5 on a trailer isn't all that heavy (9000 or so). I tow with a small block and it's gutless. I wish I had a big block or diesel because I never drive this truck empty, but I just don't have the cash to buy one. if you drive your tow rig empty EVER there is no question that the Diesel is the way to go.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I think im going to get the 6.5. Im not worried about the injection system on the diesel since i work on them already and work on duramax's regularly at work(apprentice at the local chevy dealer). I just htink that the 6.5 would be a better choice as it will get better MPG and i can tweak it a bit if I want to. Im going to try and get a 96 with the later style interior since i like that style the best and has OBD2 which is much easier to work with diagnostic wise.

5. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

If those engines are your only choices, I'd go for the diesel. Big blocks just guzzle too much fuel, towing or not. Current gas prices are scary too. The diesel will have the torque you need to tow. I'm buying diesel at 40-50 cents less per gallon than gas. Good luck with your choice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Years ago my cousin had an early '90s Chevy dually with the TBI 454 that was bought new to pull a rather large gooseneck trailer and backhoe on almost a daily basis. A year or two after the 6.5's were introduced he traded the 454 truck in for one. Both trucks were otherwise identical except for the engine.

He said that the 6.5TD pulled just as well or better as the TBI 454 and got twice the gas mileage. The newer Vortec 454's had a significant power increase so they might have more power, but the gas mileage probably isn't any better than the TBI version.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i had my 96 4x4 454 dually loaded down with my blazer and everything i own and i had plenty of power to make it up the hills from yuma to san diego while passing cars and trucks. i drive it every day, and i get about 11mpg on the highway with 4.10's and a heavy foot. the mileage seems to be getting better on the highway. the power is there.
    i weighed in at about 19klbs total weight. 16 foot trailer, blazer and all personal property.