Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5L injectors into a 6.2L?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by kennyw, Mar 10, 2005.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've seen a few posts about using 6.5L injectors in a 6.2L and I'm considering doing this in my '79 (with a stock '84 6.2L). Any idea what year to give when I have the parts house look up the parts? I'm also not sure if this is worth doing on a stock NA 6.2L either. Not too far down the line I'll be getting a rebuilt IP too.

2. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

You should look for 92-99 6.5TD injectors.
    Keep in mind that they are a bit shorter than your 6.2 ones. Slightly bend the lines, not a big deal.

IMHO you won't see better performance with just the injectors. Worse mileage maybe . . .

With a tuned up pump (to 6.5TD specs) or even a mechanical 6.5TD unit, there's a noticeable gain of power!
    But again, the mileage thing :crazy:

You should also consider that even with new pump & incectors you still working with the stock intake and exhaust system (have a look at EGT's here). So you may think of an upgrade also.

Regards,
    Walter

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm curious about this upgrade. The only point is to get more fuel injected, right? How would the compatability be with a Banks Turboed 6.2?

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As I understand it (and I could be totally wrong here...) 6.5 injectors are way overkill for a NA 6.2, and won't even function well when fed by a normal 6.2 IP. (I can't recall the spec; maybe a DB2??)

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yup, overkill. I did the pump and 6.5 injectors with plans on adding a turbo, but that did not happen nor will it. It smokes a ton, and to be honest i am terrified to know what the EGT's are when im really getting on it. :crazy:

My recomendation, unless you are adding a turbo at the same time or near future, dont do it. While the smokescreen is kinda cool, its still slower than crap, makes more noise, and uses more fuel if you drive arround with your foot in it. Keep the stuff stock and just turn up the fuel screw a little bit and call it good. Just my $.02

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like it isn't worth while for now then. I just put in 4 of 8 new stock injectors today. Had to take 2 of them back because they were missing the brass o-ring and will do the other side when they come in.

I'll look into this when I build a turbo'd 6.2L later down the line.