Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5L TD question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jcg, Jan 31, 2003.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Ok BigOrange90Jimmy's post about the diesels reminded me of a question I needed to ask but I didn't wanna hijack his post /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm looking for a new daily driver/tow rig and I came across a '98 1-ton with the 6.5L TD in it for pretty decent price. I'm not all that familiar with GM diesels before the duramax so I'm wondering about their reliability, power, milage... things like that. I've heard people complain about them when comparing to other diesel engines, but nothing from first hand experience.

So, anyone got any advice on what I should look for if I decide to go after this truck?

(oh and sorry for posting this here but I did a search in the late model forum and came up empty, and this is where everyone hangs out anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

FWIW, while the 6.2/6.5 may not compare in stock form to the other 'light truck' diesels in power, reliability is great, mileage is great with the right gear/tire combo. I really have had very few problems with mine (non-turbo). I love mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Maybe too much /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Thats good to hear. I keep drooling over this truck and torturing myself cause I won't have the money to buy it for a couple months, and by then it'll be gone.

How well do the 6.5's take performance mods? Like bigger turbos, propane injection, things like that?? I know if I get one of these I'm not gonna be able keep myself from playing with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Buy the 6.5, then contact a small company called Performance Diesel (509-925-6265) and get their Turbo Master for the 6.5 It controls the waste gate or something on the turbo. My friend has a Factory 6.5Turbo in a 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy. It has exhaust, I think a different turbo, and a Turbo Mater and we can get 20mpg towing the race car over the pass...
    Diesels love propane, but you have to be careful w/ it or you will build to much cyl head pressure and crack a head.
    You can blow water to them too, they love that!
    You also have to put a pyro in w/ any mods you make on a diesel to watch your exhaust temp or you will melt a piston.