Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5L TD Suburban

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ntaj*ep, Jul 4, 2004.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I think the D-max will have to wait, I want no payments for a while and need a reliable tow/camp/driver. Been looking at the 6.5 TD Subs. I hate the brakes on the gas powered trucks of this era, 97-99 and was thinking the hydra-boost would cure that? I want to know what to look for if I do indeed go this route. Are the motors good? Fuel systems, turbos? I don't want to get stuck with an unreliable pig.
    If GM would just put the D-max in the Avalanche or Suburban they would force my hand! So what do you guys think/know about these 6.5 TDs?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

They are of great reliablity- provided that you upgrade a few things-. there's a cooler for the electronics of the pump, thats a must- Upgrading the water pump/cooling system is also a good idea. Everything else is just about the same as any other chevy truck of the generation. You get a 4L80E tranny, a 241 transfer case, and a 14bSF or FF rear.

In regards to brakes, your probably talking about the spongyness and what not- the hydroboost does fix a lot of that.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

...and the diesel equipped Sub would have the hydro-boost.

I've heard that wastegate solenoids are a common failure as well as PMD's and OPS's. A majority have had theur IP's replaced under warranty even though the heat soaked PMD was the major cause at the time.

Rene

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I've heard that the PMD is a weak point on the trucks. But I figure if I get one I will carry a spare. I Guess I need to drive one and see what I think. I figure having a mechanical injection system it would be pretty easy to upgrade.
    Do the trucks come with any type of intercooler?
    How do the transmissions hold up to towing?

5. tRustyK5

No intercooler that I'm aware of...although there is some spendy aftermarket stuff out there.

Tranny's prolly do about the same as what you'd find in a K5. Just depends on what one you get. I'd guess the newer diesel burbs got the 4L80E which is a decent tranny.

Rene

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Yup, all the new body style burbs got the 4L80-E. Im in the market myself and would like a sub, but I really want a 6.5 truck, wouldnt mind a tahoe, but its too small to tow a blazer with. I dont think the 10 bolt R&P would hold up to the load.

O yeah think of the 4l80-E as a TH400 with OD. the 1/2 ton diesel's also got the 4l80,

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm worried about the rating of the motor, and how it will do real world towing that heavy a load. I think doing an intercooler would be my first step, especially if they do have the 4L80........

8. tRustyK5

190 hp and 450+ tq...comparable to a stock Cummins or Ford of the same year. Just not as easy to 'bomb'.

Rene

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You can always add propane, and do injectors, and some other stuff like a computer reflash, and a manual wastegate and get close to 300hp, and a lot of torque, I just dont know how much.

10. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

There are plenty of 6.5 electric performance parts. Two of the best sites are www.heathdiesel.com (ECM reflashes) and www.kennedydiesel.com. I have products from both places.

The best year is the 99 and newers for the 6.5, but you they only made the burb in 99. The 99 block a "509" block and has the smaller oil spray pistons and other enhancements. 97 and newer also have the high flow water pump, dual T-Stats for additional towing performance. As stated the largest problem with the electric 6.5 is the FSD/PMD mounted to the IP. 99% of this problem can be fixed by relocating the FSD to outside the engine compartment. Heath Diesel sells the best cooler/isolator in my opinion.

With a good exhaust, properly set timing, an ECM reflash you are looking at 210 HP to the ground.