Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5L TD to SM465

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Seventy4Blazer, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

How easily is this done? do they sell a flywheel that works in this app? as far as i know the 6.5LTD didnt come in front of the 465... mybe im wrong though.

any part numbers out there?

thanks
    grant

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

6.5 should use the same flywheel as the 6.2. A manual tranny was offered behind the 6.5TD...the NV4500. The donor 6.2 I bought already had the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc bolted to it when I got it, so I can't help much with pn#'s.

You might want to check the diesel part number thread, I think it might be in there.

The diesel uses a pilot bearing, which some people don't like. I replaced the messed up one on my 6.2 with another bearing (rather than a bushing) and haven't had any trouble with it.

I have seen 6.2 flywheels on eBay a few times too.

Rene

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

No, they came backed by a nv4500. The way i look at it though, if a 6.5 NV4500 can be put behind a 6.2, then there should be no reason that a 6.2 SM465 cant be put behind a 6.5. I would think that the NV4500 flywheel would work fine. Dont quote me on it, though, this is just an assumption, but it makes sense to me.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I would just use the 6.2L flywheel, it is solid Vs the 6.5 dual mass style. I removed a dual mass and installed an older style into a NV4500 equipped truck. You just need to make sure to get the proper clutch for whichever flywheel you go with.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I agree with Diesel Dan. Don't use the 6.5L dual mass flywheel, they're known for being trouble when they wear out and come apart. Just use a stock 6.2L flywheel for the SM465. It will bolt to the 6.5L just fine.

The 6.2L and 6.5L are, in nearly all respects, identical blocks on the outside. A 6.2L will replace a 6.5L, and vice versa. Most of the differences are internal. Therefore, a 465 doesn't know if it's behind a 6.2L or a 6.5L.

Casey

6. Seventy4Blazer

thanks for the info. since i have a brand new clutch installed in the blazer now i think i will just go with a 6.2L flywheel.

now... anyone have info on 6.5Ltd? i think ill do a search and start a new thread for this one.
    Grant

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

What kind of info are you looking for?

8. Seventy4Blazer

i just made a new post in this forum.
    thanks.
    Grant