Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6.5TD Parts needed to make 6.2L a TD.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AzzKicker, Jul 30, 2002.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm getting my hands on a 85 K20 with a 6.2. It has 97,000 miles and has been serviced at dealer since purchase. Best part is if I told you the price I'm getting it for, you'd die /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Anyway. I wanna plan this out.

So I need to know EXACTLY what parts I will need.

As I understand it. Its recommended to use a manifold off a 6.5 in the 93 model year. as well as the Turbo.

What else will I actually need to do. The truck has A/C so I understand theres clearance problems with something. Can someone run the process through me.

I'm not a Noob when it comes to Working on trucks. i'm just a noob when it comes to Diesels. This will be my first.

2. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

The 93 parts are only the wastegate. The evaporater housing will have to be either removed or relocated. Your injectors will not fit with the turbo manifold. You can get a machine shop to fab a spacer(3/8?). Or beter yet use 6.5 heads, injectors, and injector lines. Try Thedieselpage.com.

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

So basically if I locate a 6.5TD somewhere. My best bet would be to Purchase:
    6.5 heads, Injectors, Injector lines, Turbo assembly. If needs be, I can remove A/C compressor for NOW. Since By the time I get this truck, and up and running it'll be Fall temps which arent too bad.

Now with all those parts. What WOULD need to be modified. I heard something about moddint the exhaust crossover or something like that.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

It's not the a/c compressor that's the problem, it's the evaporator on the passenger side firewall that sticks out too far on the older style trucks.

A complete Banks setup would be much easier to install, and it will bolt right in.

A 6.5L turbo system will perform better, but it's much harder to install. There's not that many people who have done it in the older body style trucks with a/c.

I've seen one truck where the guy fabbed up a turbo mount on the manifold to set the turbo sideways, and had the exhaust down-pipe go thru the inner fender well and down the outside of the frame rail.

Casey

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Read this to find out more about what it takes to install a 6.5L turbo system on a 6.2L in and older style truck. (Scroll down a bit on the page when it loads....the info you're looking for is about halfway down.)

Casey

6. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

7. civicucv

civicucv Registered Member

It's my understanding that the Banks turbo on a 6.2 will outperform a factory 6.5 turbo. I've contemplated adding a whirlygig myself. I received all of the Banks literature and was pleased to read that all necessary parts were included with their kit.

8. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

I have a question somewhat related to this. I have a '96 6.5 long block in my '83 Jimmy (no a/c)with all the 6.2 injection system on it. If I scrounge up a 6.5 TD setup, intake manifold ,injector lines, would it bolt right up? Or is there some problem I might have even though there is no a/c and I have 6.5 heads? I have seen a few 6.5 TD's parting out lately. Also anybody have any idea what a used turbo should run $$?

9. civicucv

civicucv Registered Member

Try Ebay. Currently, tons of 6.5 parts are listed.

10. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

The banks turbo kit only comes with all the parts if you have a "J" code intake manifold. If you have an EGR, you need to buy a separate adapter kit as well. I STILL haven't put my kit on, maybe this winter I will get around to it.